The Chaotic August Garden
A few days ago, we had the perfect day - semi to mostly cloudy, temperatures in the low 70s and not a whiff of humidity. It was heavenly. I took a lot of photos that day, but many of these were taken back in July.
The above scene, showing our front walk, looks rather tame. If you pan the camera to the left, however, it is a bit more busy -
By this time in the season, watering is a drudge, but if you have pots, it is a must. I reduced our containers this year slightly, but it still takes me about an hour and a half to water every morning. Even some of the pots are bursting this time of year, especially when planted with things like salvia. What was i thinking? -
The terraces in the back garden have the most wild, untamed feeling. I keep thinking about redoing them with lower-growing plants so that you can actually see the walls. This photo is an elevated view. I'm actually looking down on it -
High summer is the time for lilies. Most of mine are now in pots. I have always taken lilies as sun-loving plants but on recent garden tours, I noticed many that were growing and blooming in quite a lot of shade. Live and learn!
![]() |
| I love Tiger Lilies and planted these last fall. |
![]() |
| I should not be surprised by lilies in the shade because this 'Stargazer' lily has bloomed for years in almost complete light shade. |
Most of the clematis are taking a break but there are a few exceptions. The winner for most blooms this year is 'Josephine'. It got off to a late start (it wasn't blooming when we had our open garden and I was miffed about it), but it has made up for lost time. It hasn't stopped blooming!
Last fall, I moved 'Comtesse de Bouchaud' to the front garden, where it would have more room and more sun. It has made its way up over the panel arch I created and is mingling with Deodar 'Feelin' Blue'. The first blooms have appeared -
I am thrilled with the oleander (Nerium oleander 'Hardy White'). It was planted last June. It is right next to the south wall of the house for extra protection -
One of my favorite small trees, maybe my #1 pick, is the 'Golden Spirit' smoke tree. It always looks great -
Other plants that look good now -
![]() |
| Echinacea 'White Swan' |
![]() |
| Hydrangea 'Little Quickfire' and Phormium 'Rainbow Queen' |
![]() |
| Lydia Broom, Caryopteris, Gaura 'Beeliza Dark Pink', Barberry 'Rose Glow' |
![]() |
| Veronicacastrum 'Queen of Diamonds' |
This time of year, I like the shadier areas best of all -
Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy
























Comments
Does your Angel Trumpet lives outside year-round?
You used to grow a white, trailing Hydrangea in a pot. How is it doing?
Chavli