Skip to main content

Featured

Swapping Huckleberries

Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album)  Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album) has been an attractive feature along our north-facing foundation since I planted it in 2016. You will have to take my word for it since I cannot locate a photo although I know one exists somewhere in the realm of the Internet or floating on a cloud somewhere.  I did locate a photo of how it looked when it was first planted - It took a few years to fill out but it did so nicely to an attractive mound about 2 feet high by 3 feet wide.  Last year, it started to look bad.  I cut it back but it had not improved and this is how it looked a few weeks ago - I decided to rip it out and plant another huckleberry - this time Vaccinium ovatum , more commonly known as the "Evergreen Huckleberry".  This is a plant that I've wanted for ages and kept putting off getting one because I could not find a good place for it. By most accounts, this is an amazing plant, a native one and excellent for

I scream for ice cream!



I have a weakness for ice cream and would eat it every night if I could (darn those calories!). Here is a recipe for an ice cream cake - it is delicious and so easy to make, a child could do it. Of course, extra gardening chores or an additional mile around the track may be needed after you eat it. :)

Ice Cream Cake

15 Oreo cookies
1 TBS. milk
8 to 9 ice cream sandwiches
1 pint vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt*
1 pint chocolate ice cream or frozen yogurt*
1 pint strawberry ice cream or frozen yogurt*
8 oz. frozen whipped topping, thawed

1. Spray the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line sides with wax paper.

2. Crush 12 of the cookies in a food processor. Add milk and pulse until the mixture just holds together. Set aside.

3. Unwrap the ice cream sandwiches and cut each one into 4 quarters (first cut in half lengthwise, then cut in half crosswise). Place the sandwiches snugly together on end around the wax paper inside the pan. Spoon the cookie crumbs into the center of the pan, pressing firmly on the bottom. Freeze for 1 hour.

4. The ice cream should be slightly softened (about 10 minutes) before using. Transfer each container of ice cream to a bowl and stir it to achieve a spreading consistency. Remove pan from freezer. Spread one flavor of ice cream in the pan, smoothing it until level, then repeat with the two remaining flavors. Top with the whipped topping. Break apart the 3 remaining cookies and sprinkle over the top. Freeze overnight.

5. To serve, remove side of pan, then remove the wax paper.

*You can use any flavors you want!

Comments

  1. This looks so freaking good! The ice cream sandwiches make a pretty design around the edges, too. I'm gonna have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long did it take you to eat that, Phillip? It looks so good. I'd better go check the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look wonderful and easy to make!! I have a weakness for anything sweet. Will try for the next family gathering. All my family have the same weekness!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to try this out.. My kids would love it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts