Skip to main content

Featured

A Closer Look at Winter Damage

But first, take a look at this gorgeous rainbow that we had on Friday! The five-day stretch of warm temperatures last week really jump-started the garden. Now that plants are putting out new growth, it is easier to see what kind of damage the winter left. Back in mid-January, we experienced five straight days of below-freezing temperatures. This caused much damage in Portland and areas where frigid winds were a factor. Here, we were fortunate to not get the wind and the cold temperatures were dampened by a blanket of snow. That said, it was a tough time for the garden and there are noticeable casualties but no outright deaths that I have seen. The bottlebrush ( Callistemon 'Woodlander's Red') did not like the cold at all. It was planted six years ago, in the north-facing garden no less, and I've not experienced die-back on it until now. A local expert said to cut it all the way back so that is what I did. If it doesn't make it, I won't be too distraught. It is

Radish Salad (what to do with all those radishes)


I grew a lot of radishes this spring. I use them in green salads all the time but there were so many this year that, short of opening my own food stand, I didn't know what to do with them. I found this recipe online and loved it. This is good as a side dish with fish or some other main course.

I cut this recipe in half which still makes 4 good servings.

(Recipe courtesy AllRecipes.com)

Summer Radish Salad

2 cups thinly sliced radishes
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup sliced red onion (I used slightly less because I do not like a strong onion flavor)
1 cup seeded and sliced cucumber
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 TBS. white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. chopped dill

Toss the radishes with the salt and let it stand for about 10 minutes. Drain off any liquid and transfer to a bowl. Add the onion and the cucumber slices and gently toss.

Whisk together the olive oil, white wine vinegar, sugar, garlic and dill in a small bowl or measuring cup and pour the mixture over the radish mixture. Toss to combine, cover and refrigerate at least one hour before serving.

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Looks and sounds great! Radish sandwiches are good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great-looking salad, Phillip.

    Was the taste sharp/spicy with all those radishes? Or did the cucumber cool things off?

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! Sounds great! I have a radish and tuna salad recipe with lemon juice, salt, olive oil, parsley, celery & green onions. But I'm always up for another recipe, so thanks for sharing! Did you know radishes are natural antibiotics?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol, believe it or not, I've never had one!

    Aaron, yes a bit spicy but the cucumbers too cool it down.

    Katherine, I love tuna salad and would like to find that recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the idea, because I do indeed have too many radishes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mama used to say that Radishes had made more gardeners than anything else because they come up fast and produce in a short time, very encouraging.

    I put radishes in cole slaw. They give a little bite and a little color.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts