Pruning & Transplanting Clematis (and other plants)
Ah, the clematis, one of the most beautiful and frustrating of plants. I counted five books on my shelf devoted to them, and I still have to consult them every year when it is time to prune. This year I'm doing something new - moving a few that are obviously not doing well (lack of sun, more than likely). I'm worried about one of my favorites - 'Jackmanii Superba'. First, I had to dig it up when the new gate was constructed. This clematis was massive, and the bottom stalk looked like a small tree. I divided it to give a piece to my neighbor. Somewhere along the way, it was cut back all the way down to the trunk . I'm still asking myself how this happened. Only time will tell if I've killed the poor thing. It has been replanted, and so far, no signs of life. Others that I decided to move were not subjected to that abuse and were moved immediately after I dug them up. This is 'Etoile Violette'. This rampant variety was along the front fence and it alwa...






Comments
Digging out a rose is my very least favorite gardening activity. There always seems to be one root that goes straight down and is impossible to get at. Here, too, the light soil and lack of any winter chill means crown/root gall is a terrible problem--many of mine have succumbed. A rose intended to be moved ends up having to be discarded because of gall.
My 'Golden Celebration' is huge. I love it.