Skip to main content

Featured

Upcoming Plant Sales

There will be FOUR events in the next few weeks, so mark your calendars and be sure to stop by one (or all!) of them. All proceeds help benefit our local schools. Each of the sales will offer native plants (note that some are not on the Portland Plant List). Please see below for more details about each sale! Fort Vancouver High School Plant Sale: Wednesday, April 24, 8am-6pm, Thursday, April 25, 8am-5pm and Friday, April 26, 8am-4pm Native plants available: Trees:  Cascara, Oregon White Oak, Vine Maple, Douglas Fir, Western Hemlock, Western Red Cedar;  Shrubs:  Mock Orange, Flowering Red Currant, Red Twig Dogwood, Cascade Oregon Grape, Baldhip Rose, Nootka Rose, Douglas Spirea, Thimbleberry , Serviceberry, Red Elderberry, Blue Elderberry, Black Hawthorn, Salmonberry, Golden Currant, Smooth Sumac, Salal;  Groundcovers : Western Yarrow, Wild Ginger, Sword Fern, Goldenrod, Blue-Eyed Grass, Soft Fruited Bulrush, Tufted Hair Grass, Oregon Sunshine, Maidenhair Fern, Checkermallow, Sedum Spat

Another Garden, Another Garden Wall


Longtime readers of my blog will remember the garden wall we built in our former Alabama garden. We built it in 2005 to serve as a backdrop to plants as well as create a division point between two distinct areas (one side being the "secret garden"). One of my favorite aspects of a garden are the hardscape elements - the walls, doors, paths, statues, etc. have always delighted me and I feel they play as much importance in a garden as the plants themselves. And, not to mention, an artistic expression!


The Alabama garden wall was much larger and grander than our new one. It consisted of three sections - one long central wall and two smaller side walls on each side. In between were some fabulous wrought iron doorways that we found one day at a rood-side garden market.

I initially envisioned the wall to be reminiscent of a crumbling ruins but it actually ended up looking a bit like the Alamo.

I found an old photo of how it looked shortly after it was completed and before we added the purple -


I wanted the color to look like Monet's Waterlilies painting with a blending of blues, purples and pinks. Michael, who has always loved purple, actually did the paint job (of course!) and used a sponge-type technique on it.



Flash forward 15 years and here we are living across the country about as far from Alabama as we could get. A new state, a new town and a new garden to build. It seems that old habits die hard and I find myself doing many of the same things I did in the old garden. Maybe my creative juices are a bit dried up or maybe it is just that I miss aspects of the old garden. I guess no matter how you look at it, familiarity brings comfort.

Like with our former garden, we were presented with a blank slate and as desirable as that may be, I don't want to be able to see the entire garden in one glance. Segmenting it into garden rooms is a process that takes a while as you wait for plants to mature and attempt to build boundaries.

I wasn't sure I wanted a garden wall in this garden because at first I could not envision a good place for one. As the garden progressed, however, it occurred to me one day that the very first garden we created - the "Pan Garden' right off the deck in back ran smack dab into the courtyard garden next to it. I wanted these two areas to be different entities and knew that this was the spot for the wall.

I wanted this wall to be a bit different and decided that a curved wall would be fun. This turned out to be a more difficult process that I anticipated and it seems everything went wrong. Even though this was a smaller wall (about 26 ft. in length), it ended up being a difficult and neverending project. I am not disciplined enough to be exacting on projects like this and the fact that the wall was on a very slight incline presented many problems. That, plus I'm sure that being 20 years older, was also a factor.

Like the other wall, it was created with concrete blocks and a stucco finish was applied afterward which was then painted.

The project began on April 5th. First, a foundation trench was dug. I hired a friend to do this part since I've been dealing with plantar fasciitis and using a shovel is painful and aggravates my foot. A layer of gravel and quarter minus was packed down over the bottom.


I then began to lay the blocks, using mortar mix to bind them





There was lull in activity because of rain but around the middle of April (14th to be exact), Michael was ready to come out of his winter hibernation and pitch in. I tend to do things at a leisurely pace and he is the opposite - get it started and get it done! (just like my father!). As you can see, he is already giving me orders. If it wasn't for him, I would probably still be working on it. :)



I had initially thought that I wanted the wall to be lower, about chest height, but after we started, we felt that it needed to go higher.

Around April 20, we had all the blocks in place -










During the first week of May, we applied the stucco. We had trouble locating the stucco mix and our only option was to order it from one of the big box stores and wait several weeks for it to arrive. Someone mentioned that it was easy to make you own and it is - you just mix portland cement with sand and lime. So that is what we did. Michael started on one side and me the other. We quickly realized that our stucco styles were very different.

Michel's side -


My side -


Here is a video I made with my phone. The first side you see is the side I did and the other side is Michael's work. We decided that since each side was in a different garden, it would not matter.



I could not decide what the color should be and after mulling it over for months, I finally realized that we had loved the purple on our former wall and the plants look great next to it. We opted for one color (instead of mixing and sponging). The color is "Amethystina".

These photos were taken on May 10 -






Mission accomplished!

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Absolutely lovely! Now you are giving me ideas about building a garden wall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both walls are wonderful. I am so impressed. Just this morning I was answering in my head a question that came from I know not where: "Who has most influenced you in creating your gardens?" First was the wonderful Ryan Gainey video, not available now that I can find, "The Well-Placed Weed". This is the original about his gardens and I borrowed it from the library. I have the book but oh how I wish I also had the video. The second name was Phillip Oliver. When I was planning to move to Alabama, from Oregon (yes, it's very ironic!) I found your garden via your blog. Though I knew mine would never rival yours, it inspired me to take on my large yard (3 acres with one of those in woods) in chunks. I will never build a wall like you did, but I am always inspired by your gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara that is a great compliment and I truly feel honored! I got to meet Ryan Gainey and visit his garden back in the 90s, around the time I was just getting into gardening. He was an inspiration to me as well.

      Delete
  3. This is so good! I love it, right down to the two different stucco styles. You guys make a great team.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness, what a wonderful job the two of you did, the different styles of stucco application doesn't matter one bit. Purple and Chartreuse make of a winning combination. I ofter wondered what is was like to leave a stunning garden in Alabama, one that you have put so much of yourself into, and start a brand new garden on the opposite side of the country. Obviously, you rose to the challenge. Your personality and style come through in this garden's design and style, with the addition challenge of a host of PNW plants that may have been new to you.
    Do you have an ID for a deciduous tree (maple presumably) in picture 12 on the left?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You know, I worried an fretted for ages about leaving the old garden but I think the excitement of moving and beginning a new one overshadowed that. It wasn't nearly as traumatic as I thought it would be. Is the tree you are asking about the one that hasn't leafed out in the photo? If so, it is the Redbud (Cercis) 'Ruby Falls'. I need to post a photo of it right now - it is stunning.

      Delete
  5. I love the serpentine wall. The color is perfect too. It is great that you made several different levels where you can place planters to show off plants etc. Michael looks so pleased with the outcome too. As it should be. Great work guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. How do you keep that sumac from running?? I just took out my tiger eye sumac because it started popping up all over this year. I kept one of the pups and planted it in a planter. They are so beautiful but I hate the way the run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I planted it inside a larger pot in the ground. However, we still get runners and are potting up pieces all the time!

      Delete
    2. That is clever to plant it in a big pot but omg it still runs! A persistent plant. I might not have to worry about mind any more. The squirrels pulled out the start I had going. The squirrels are terribly destructive to my pots this summer.

      Delete
  7. It's fabulous...You two are gifted artists. I love the wall and the color you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the ID. I love the weeping form, with or without leafs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts