Skip to main content

Featured

A Closer Look at Winter Damage

But first, take a look at this gorgeous rainbow that we had on Friday! The five-day stretch of warm temperatures last week really jump-started the garden. Now that plants are putting out new growth, it is easier to see what kind of damage the winter left. Back in mid-January, we experienced five straight days of below-freezing temperatures. This caused much damage in Portland and areas where frigid winds were a factor. Here, we were fortunate to not get the wind and the cold temperatures were dampened by a blanket of snow. That said, it was a tough time for the garden and there are noticeable casualties but no outright deaths that I have seen. The bottlebrush ( Callistemon 'Woodlander's Red') did not like the cold at all. It was planted six years ago, in the north-facing garden no less, and I've not experienced die-back on it until now. A local expert said to cut it all the way back so that is what I did. If it doesn't make it, I won't be too distraught. It is

Garden Blogger's Bloom Day June 2020




It is time again for Bloom Day, when garden bloggers share photos of blooms in their gardens. Head over to May Dreams Gardens for links to other blogs who are participating. There is so much going on here in our garden. We've had a lot of rain at a time when it is usually dry. This is the wettest June we have experienced since living here. We like it, the garden loves it and it is nice having a low water bill. 

So, without further ado, here are a few (but not all!) blooms from the garden -

Dogwood (Cornus kousa 'Wolf Eyes') with Rose 'Essex' and Hydrangea 'Bloomstruck' underneath



An unknown Callistemon (Bottlebrush) that was a gift from a fellow gardener



Cuphea 'Honeybells'


Elderberry (Sambucus nigra 'Black Lace')



Hydrangea quercifolia 'Ruby Slippers'


Jerusalem Sage (Phlomis fruiticosa)




Roses 'Buff Beauty' and 'Michelangelo' and 'Mary Rose' underneath the Parrotia tree


Peony 'Doreen'



Thyme




Geranium 'Crystal Rose'



Baptisia 'Solar Flare'


Clematis 'Jackmanii Superba' and 'Madame Julia Correvon'



Astrantia maxima (Masterwort)


Clematis 'Chevalier'


Clematis durandii and Rose 'Sea Foam'


Clematis 'Niobe'



Gillenia trifoliata (Bowman's Root or Indian Physic)


Hydrangea 'Let's Dance Rave'


Hydrangea 'Tiny Tuff Stuff'


Hydrangea 'Twist n Shout'


Hypericum inodorum 'Pumpkin' (St. John's Wort)




Kniphofia ‘Shining Scepter’ (Red Hot Poker) and
Penstemon Mexicali ‘Windwalker Garnet’



Lavender 'Hidcote' and Silene dioica 'Clifford Moor' (Catchfly)


Mexican Cardinal Flower (Lobelia laxiflora)


Maltese Cross (Lychnis chalcedonica 'Rosea')




Oxalis 'Plum Crazy'


Meadow Rue (Ruta graveolens)



Clary Sage (Salvia sclarea 'Vatican White')



Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. So many beauties! I love that oxalis. I think my favorite photo today is the lavender and catchfly together, the colors are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My, what a beautiful garden you have. Your bottlebrush made me sigh. Mine has been struggling recently. I hope I can save it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the oxalis a perennial in your area? It is unusual and quite eye catching to me. My Silene, straight species, isn't blooming yet. I can't wait to see it. If we don't get any rain I might not see it bloom this year. Your garden has certainly made the most with all the rain and bloomed up a storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is listed as zone 8 - we are zone 7 or 8, depending on what area of town you live. I've had good luck with zone 8 plants. I will try and winter it over. There is an oxalis that is weedy here and Michael almost had a stroke when I brought this one home. That is why it is in a pot!

      Delete
  4. I'm jealous. I'd be in heaven if I had roses, peonies and clematis blooming at the same time. Heck, I'll be thrilled if my Itoh peony ever blooms. And you have Astrantia and Baptisia too, neither which I've been able to grow in my climate. (I've tried.) The Lobelia laxiflora has a reputation of being something of a weed here but thus far I've managed to keep mine contained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are always wanting plants in other gardens in other regions of the country! I really love the flowers on the lobelia. I expect the hummingbirds will love it.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful blooms and photos. If you are ever open for HPSO your garden is on my punchlist. It's just splendid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were scheduled to be on the tour two weekends ago but of course it got cancelled. We are open by appointment. Let me know if you are in the area. I will give you the tour!

      Delete
  6. I like the way you have captured blooms with that vintage feel to every shot.The shot of Peony peeping out from the bush is so dramatic.Happy blooms day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a lovely picture of St. John's Wort, and I love the delicate shape of Astrantia (Do you let it reseed freely? I make sure mine never go to seed...).
    Kniphofia ‘Shining Scepter’ and Penstemon Mexicali look excellent under the tree: It's a delightful and surprising choice because I thought hot poker needs full sun. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't noticed the astrantia reseeding but it probably has no place to do so - it is crammed in among a lot of other plants. The kniphofia probably needs to be moved. The strawberry tree above it has grown tremendously. Do you know if kniphofia is easy to move?

      Delete
    2. It may be difficult as far as the weight of a heavy clump, but I don't think that's what you meant. I moved kniphofia before; its very hardy. But it looks so good under the tree...

      Delete
  8. Your hydrangea is beautiful! Mine used to bloom like that until the little tree a distance away grew to a large, overshadowing monster. Now I'm lucky if I get five blooms. Each year there are fewer. Hard decision, dig up a hydrangea with a massive, deep root or cut down a tree. Neither is an easy chore. I will go with door number 3, enjoy others.
    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you move it to another location? I have found that hydrangeas are easy to transplant.

      Delete
    2. At our previous home, there was a beautiful blue hydrangea in the backyard. It came with the house and we lived there 20 years. Right before we moved away, I said I wouldn't leave without that bush. I began digging, and digging, and digging - the roots must have grown down to China. Needless to say, it is still there and I am here. I fear the same thing will happen with this one. It is between two rocks and if I damage the roots, I might kill it. So, I have given up before I even started. However, Phillip, if YOU want to come and dig, I will be glad to share my shovel.
      Jeannie

      Delete
  9. I LOVE your elderberry. I wonder if there is a place for one in my garden... You can visit me at https://garden337.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pictures, Phillip. I'm from Bermuda and surprisingly I grow some of the same plants! Your bottle brush might be a dwarf variety if you purchased it at a nursery. Here, Callistemon citrinus (or Melaleuca citrina) trees line the streets. Your oxalis is very pretty and unusual. Our oxalis (wood sorrel) is a pest and is very hard to control.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What gorgeous images! I recognize a few but some are new for me. They are so fantastic to see on my rainy wintry day :)


    Feel free to share at My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never run across Bottlebrush that looked that good. I am hoping we will see another photo of the oakleaf hydrangea later with the blooms turning more red.
    -Ray

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts