Skip to main content

Featured

The Garden Awakens

Anise 'Woodland Red' ( Illicium floridanum ) A few weeks ago, I thought spring would never arrive, but now the change is astonishing. The nights are still cold (40s and sometimes even 30s) so planting tender annuals and vegetables is unwise although I have already succumbed, but covering and uncovering things gets old quickly. Someone made a wise comment last week and I must agree with them - "Don't plant anything tender until after May 1". Several plants are blooming like never before. One is the Anise shrub (above and below). I don't know if the recent tree pruning, which is allowing more sun into the woodland path, is affecting it or perhaps it is just age, but I've never seen so many blooms. Michael refers to this as "the stinky fish shrub" and I have to admit to smell of the flowers is quite unpleasant. It is so beautiful that I can overlook that. The old pink dogwood tree, which was already here, shades our woodland path and it too is prett

Experimenting with the Chelsea Chop

If you watch much British gardening shows (well, that is bascially all we have, right?), you probably are familiar with the "Chelsea Chop". This is the practice of cutting back tall, late-blooming perennials to reduce size and prolong bloom. I've never tried this and tend to let plants do what they do. Until now that is.

The Joe Pye weed has to be the largest perennial I've ever grown. And it just keeps getting taller. Here it is last year -



I am guessing that it is 7 - 8 ft. tall. Most of the plants behind it are large shrubs and trees but Joe Pye is so tall that I didn't think we would ever enjoy the blooms of the newly planted elderberry. This year, Joe is quickly approaching the 6 ft. mark.



That is, until a few days ago when the Chelsea Chop was employed. This can be done by a third or by half. We cut it back by half. Now it looks like this -




You can cut the entire plant back (like we did) or you can cut back just a portion of the canes. This would allow a prolonged bloom with the uncut stalks blooming as usual and the shortened ones blooming later.

It will be interested to see what becomes of this. Stay tuned!

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy










Comments

  1. That's quite a dramatic difference. You are very brave. I hope it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to do this with Aster, that often gets too tall for my liking and tend to plop over with autumn rains and winds. I remove a third off the top, and get shorter but fuller blooms.
    You must submit another photo of this eager shrub, once it starts blooming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asters was one of the plants that was mentioned as a good candidate.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful plant. Do you know if the cut stalks will multiply/branch off? Just this morning I cut back my returning pineapple sage, which I *love*, but it gets so leggy late in the season. I'm hoping it will not only stay neat but have more branches and flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look forward to seeing how it turns out.

    I've been doing something similar this year with some of my perennials -- none that get that tall -- including some goldenrod and Coreopsis pubescens. The Coreopsis is just starting to bloom now so I'm looking forward to seeing whether I like the effect.

    (I think cutting in layers or doing the Chelsea Chop can also increase the number of flowers, since often the cut stem will branch. I've done that quite successfully in the past with the 'standing cypress' wildflower, for instance.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must have the straight species. It is a beauty for sure. It will do just fine no doubt. Can't wait to see it when it blooms. I chopped my sedums due to their floppy nature. They aren't in full sun unfortunately. It isn't their fault. The chop does help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Either way that's a beautiful scene, with the birdhouse and the bit of natural fencing as accent to the shrubbery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I chop asters and Autumn Joy sedum so they don't flop. I also thin asters and phlox to reduce powdery mildew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, that reminds me to do that to my sedum! Thanks

      Delete
  8. Would love to have an update! How did they do?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts