Skip to main content

Featured

A Closer Look at Winter Damage

But first, take a look at this gorgeous rainbow that we had on Friday! The five-day stretch of warm temperatures last week really jump-started the garden. Now that plants are putting out new growth, it is easier to see what kind of damage the winter left. Back in mid-January, we experienced five straight days of below-freezing temperatures. This caused much damage in Portland and areas where frigid winds were a factor. Here, we were fortunate to not get the wind and the cold temperatures were dampened by a blanket of snow. That said, it was a tough time for the garden and there are noticeable casualties but no outright deaths that I have seen. The bottlebrush ( Callistemon 'Woodlander's Red') did not like the cold at all. It was planted six years ago, in the north-facing garden no less, and I've not experienced die-back on it until now. A local expert said to cut it all the way back so that is what I did. If it doesn't make it, I won't be too distraught. It is

My Favorite Plant This Week - Privet!

I suppose I am risking my gardening reputation by saying it but yes, I really like Wax-Leaf Privet (Ligustrum japonicum). It is the scourge of the Southeast and probably many other places as well. According to the Washington State Noxious Weed Control Board, it is not considered invasive here but has a status of "monitored". We do sell it at the nursery where I work.

I am not sure exactly which one we have as there are many varieties but I am guessing that it is 'Texanum' which is a more compact variety. In the five years we've lived here, our plant is only 5 feet tall.

The fragrant flowers  appear this time of year (early June here in Washington state) and last several weeks. The white flower clusters are followed by berries that birds like to eat. 

I probably would not have purchased one intentionally but there was one already on the property when we moved in. I transplanted it to a new spot right under the bedroom window. My favorite thing about privet is one of the chief complaints from those you don't like it - the fragrance (or I guess critics would say "odor".) I find it interesting that some people love the sweet fragrance and others hate it. The scent wafts along the breeze and it reminds me of warm, languid days when I was a child, playing and exploring the woods behind my family home. It gives me a warm and comforting feeling.

Aside from the smell of the blooms, the other chief complaint is the reseeding tendency. I haven't seen any seedlings yet in the garden but time will tell.


Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Yes, that baby is invasive here. :( I had it in my garden for a good many years. I took it out when it was deemed invasive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over here (UK) 99.9% of it is kept closely clipped as hedge or perimeter, so never flowers, when it's allowed to 'do it's thing' (as illustrated above) it's very pretty, I leave some down the bottom of the garden until they've flowered, but as they have a couple of cuts a year; even the flowers aren't as full or fluffy as yours, but I find lots of less common flies and hover flies like them and the little pin-beetles of course!

    It's the same with Holly, when you see them as untrimmed 'standards' at Westernbirt Arboretum, Kew or even - occasionally - in the woods, they are stunning pyramids of dark green, rather than the lego-blocks you get in an "English country gar'har'den"!

    H

    ReplyDelete
  3. We inherited a huge border of this with the garden. It's gone now...but the fragrance! I am definitely in the do not like it category.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the unique scent of ligustrum. As well as that of candytuft and Lantana... definitely the fragrances of my childhood. Its known that memories often go hand in had with specific scent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Phillip, I would really be shocked at your gardening betrayal except that I have two variegated privets in two large concrete urns - one privet to an urn. They are kind of skimpy looking but for now they work well. But I'll think of you the next time I cut privet along the edge of my woods!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts