Skip to main content

Featured

The Garden Awakens

Anise 'Woodland Red' ( Illicium floridanum ) A few weeks ago, I thought spring would never arrive, but now the change is astonishing. The nights are still cold (40s and sometimes even 30s) so planting tender annuals and vegetables is unwise although I have already succumbed, but covering and uncovering things gets old quickly. Someone made a wise comment last week and I must agree with them - "Don't plant anything tender until after May 1". Several plants are blooming like never before. One is the Anise shrub (above and below). I don't know if the recent tree pruning, which is allowing more sun into the woodland path, is affecting it or perhaps it is just age, but I've never seen so many blooms. Michael refers to this as "the stinky fish shrub" and I have to admit to smell of the flowers is quite unpleasant. It is so beautiful that I can overlook that. The old pink dogwood tree, which was already here, shades our woodland path and it too is prett

Another big transplant - moving a large Climing Iceberg rose



I love the look of roses growing on pillars but I've not been entirely successful in executing the look. I have yet to learn if I'm simply choosing roses that are not well-suited for such a purpose or maybe I don't spend enough time training them. My latest experiment with such was 'Climbing Iceberg' which looks okay in the above photo taken last spring but that was after I had whacked it back severely. For this is a rose that doesn't want to be restrained.



This photo was taken last winter and the rose looks fairly tame considering the mess that it was a few weeks ago. I forgot to get a photo but trust me, it was out of control. 

I decided to move it but where to? Real estate in this garden is getting pretty scarce. Then, after mulling it over for a while, I came up with the brilliant idea of putting it alongside our garden shed where I envision it scampering over the roof. 


This is a good time for transplanting. The weather is cool (sometimes cold!) and damp. First I had to remove it from the wrought iron pillar which was no easy feat. The canes were going in every direction and many had grown through the middle of the cage making them impossible to pull out. No worries, however, as I planned to cut it way back.

I hesitated to cut a climbing rose back like this but I figured it was my only option and the roots will have much less to support as they get acclimated to their new home.

Digging it up was also difficult. I've learned that a transplanting (or drain) spade is the best bet as the roots can go quite deep.



I try to get as much of the rootball as I can and hope that will remain intact. This doesn't always happen and often the entire root ball will collapse. However, this time, my luck held out. The recent rains helps the clay soil stick together. 

A tarp is helpful for moving it to the new location. The rose is too large to lift into a wheelbarrow.



Before I started anything, I went ahead and dug the hole so I could get the rose in the ground as soon as possbile after digging it. I added some well-rotted horse manure to the hole. Watering is crucial so I gave it 2 five-gallon buckets of water and more water about every other day. Even though we've had rain, the rain here is often a drizzle throughout the day which fools people into thinking there is enough water. Not always so! Fortunately, the cool weather with temperatures in the 40s, helps keep the ground moist.



 Now, I have a hole where the pillar was and must decide which rose, if any, I want to try next. 

 

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. That's a good problem to have, Phillip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've moved numerous mature roses over the years and the have all withstood the abuse so far-except for the long gone 'Paul Bocuse' . I have a vacant pillar too, but I am dithering over the plant selection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about 'Gertrude Jeckyll' but not sure.

      Delete
    2. If you are going pink how about 'New Dawn' ?

      Delete
  3. Looking forward to the results!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roses look so much better when they are in bloom...
    Your idea was a stroke of genius. I look forward to a shed roof cover in blooms. With such a vigorous rose, it wouldn't take long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roses look so much better when they are in bloom...
    Your idea was a stroke of genius. I look forward to a shed roof cover in blooms. With such a vigorous rose, it wouldn't take long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to see how Cl. Iceberg looks in its new location. Pink Pillar might work. I've had that one for several years and it's never gotten very big. Aloha too.

    Rambling Rector hasn't taken over everything yet but it has a lot of fierce competition, including all those saplings I need to cut down. It's big though. Too big for anything but a big sturdy arbor or a 50' length of fence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with Pink Pillar but I have grown Aloha in the past. Rambling Rector is monstrous! I'm glad it is doing well for you.

      Delete
  7. Your shed will never look the same. It will be wonderful with that rose growing over it and blooming. Good luck choosing a rose for your pillar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'Iceberg' is so forgiving, it should bounce back. You did a great job. Moving a climbing rose is a painful effort. Gertie J. is soooooo fragrant, but repeat?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts