Skip to main content

Featured

The Garden Awakens

Anise 'Woodland Red' ( Illicium floridanum ) A few weeks ago, I thought spring would never arrive, but now the change is astonishing. The nights are still cold (40s and sometimes even 30s) so planting tender annuals and vegetables is unwise although I have already succumbed, but covering and uncovering things gets old quickly. Someone made a wise comment last week and I must agree with them - "Don't plant anything tender until after May 1". Several plants are blooming like never before. One is the Anise shrub (above and below). I don't know if the recent tree pruning, which is allowing more sun into the woodland path, is affecting it or perhaps it is just age, but I've never seen so many blooms. Michael refers to this as "the stinky fish shrub" and I have to admit to smell of the flowers is quite unpleasant. It is so beautiful that I can overlook that. The old pink dogwood tree, which was already here, shades our woodland path and it too is prett

Walking the Salmon Creek Trail


A few days ago a friend and I took a walk along the Salmon Creek Trail. This trail is less than a mile from our house and while I've glimpsed part of it along the highway, I'd never been on it and did not realize how extensive it is. My friend says the entire length is about 3.5 miles. We didn't walk the entire distance but got a good workout. We even got a glimpse of Mt. Hood (in the top photo) which is a rare happening. We also got another surprise near the end of the walk which you will see at the end of the post.






 





We were almost back to our entrance when I spotted a large bird flying from limb to limb. It was an owl and I managed to get a shot with my telephoto lens.

 


Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. How fortunate are you: such fantastic trail, and only a mile from home. I'm surprised the mushrooms are still in such good condition. They often are a heap of mush at this point. Love the owl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fortunate are you: such fantastic trail, and only a mile from home. I'm surprised the mushrooms are still in such good condition. They often are a heap of mush at this point. Love the owl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have incredibly beautiful scenery in the PNW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful place to walk, and so close to your house.

    Great picture of the owl. That's a barred owl isn't it? The streaks on the breast are making me think barred. Those live on our farm and it's always exciting to see one. We hear them far more often than we see them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Start with a volcano, end with an owl, beauty all the way. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful pics, Philip! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous shots of you little corner of.the world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts