Skip to main content

Featured

A Closer Look at Winter Damage

But first, take a look at this gorgeous rainbow that we had on Friday! The five-day stretch of warm temperatures last week really jump-started the garden. Now that plants are putting out new growth, it is easier to see what kind of damage the winter left. Back in mid-January, we experienced five straight days of below-freezing temperatures. This caused much damage in Portland and areas where frigid winds were a factor. Here, we were fortunate to not get the wind and the cold temperatures were dampened by a blanket of snow. That said, it was a tough time for the garden and there are noticeable casualties but no outright deaths that I have seen. The bottlebrush ( Callistemon 'Woodlander's Red') did not like the cold at all. It was planted six years ago, in the north-facing garden no less, and I've not experienced die-back on it until now. A local expert said to cut it all the way back so that is what I did. If it doesn't make it, I won't be too distraught. It is

Some progress

 

The pathway project stumbles on. It has been a slow go due to rain and my bum shoulder. I finally decided to see a chiropractor (my first time) and he said that it was almost dislocated. I have no idea how I did it. I've been for several visits and I think (and hoping) that it is getting better. He said that it would take a while. In the mean time, I've been trying to do things left-handed and, with the retaining wall project, only using a hand truck and moving a few at a time. It isn't that big of a project but I had hoped to be finished by now. Actually, due to rain, I've only averaged one or two days per week.

In hindsight, I should not have removed all of the grass, just the area next to the edge. The majority of the grass could have remained until I get ready to put down the new sod. Needless to say, it is a muddy mess.

I took Michael and Lisa's advice and turned the stones on their sides. It is taller than I envisioned it but I refused to start over and dig deeper. Actually, once the soil is replenished next to the rocks, it will still be lower than the middle of the border. At least, that is what I'm telling myself!

 




 

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. I feel you on the mud and the rain. We got 6 1/2 inches in mid November from a tropical storm and the rain keeps coming as it will in winter in the Southeast.

    Your garden is so different from the one in Alabama! I like your use of all of the varied small evergreens.

    Have you tried a cortisone shot for your shoulder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always tell myself that rain is better than drought. Cortisone has not been mentioned yet. Another appointment today.

      Delete
  2. Oh that is going to look beautiful. And I personally like the height. It really anchors the area beautifully. Here is hoping for less rain and also that the doc can help with your shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little short wall is looking good despite the muck. Sounds like you really did in your shoulder. You better baby that shoulder so you don't have any permanent damage. It sounds painful. I am sure scraping up the turf didn't help your shoulder. Take it easy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to look really nice when it's done. It already looks nice with so many cool plants! I'm sorry about your shoulder. Hopefully you will be back to 100% soon. Please post photos when your project is finished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you've done a LOT, especially given the rain, mud and shoulder considerations. My body no longer blithely accepts the stresses and strains of my garden projects either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The retaining wall looks good so far. I'm certain you'll be happy with the results.
    From personal experience, shoulder injuries are slow to recover. To maintain it in good health for the long run, physical therapy is helpful. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks good, Philip! Speaking as one who just broke their collarbone, be very kind to your shoulder. It could be so much worse, and as mentioned above, you don’t want to do something that will affect it long-term. Winter is a fine time to go light on the sloppy outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane, I appreciate all the advice I can get!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts