Skip to main content

Featured

The Garden Awakens

Anise 'Woodland Red' ( Illicium floridanum ) A few weeks ago, I thought spring would never arrive, but now the change is astonishing. The nights are still cold (40s and sometimes even 30s) so planting tender annuals and vegetables is unwise although I have already succumbed, but covering and uncovering things gets old quickly. Someone made a wise comment last week and I must agree with them - "Don't plant anything tender until after May 1". Several plants are blooming like never before. One is the Anise shrub (above and below). I don't know if the recent tree pruning, which is allowing more sun into the woodland path, is affecting it or perhaps it is just age, but I've never seen so many blooms. Michael refers to this as "the stinky fish shrub" and I have to admit to smell of the flowers is quite unpleasant. It is so beautiful that I can overlook that. The old pink dogwood tree, which was already here, shades our woodland path and it too is prett

Beautyberry

 

When it comes to showy off-season plants, they seem to have the advantage of not having to compete much with their neighbors. When the word "evergreen" is mentioned, I tend to think of conifers and hollies with pretty berries. I can't think of many deciduous plants with berries but there are some hollies, like the possumhaw (Ilex decidua) and 'Sparkleberry' which I always wanted to grow but never have. And then there is this beautiful thing which seems to be in a class by itself.

Beautyberry brings a touch of elegance to the late fall and winter garden. The botanical name "Callicarpa" actually means "beautiful fruit". The berries can last up until January here in the Pacific Northwest as birds are not fond of them. The color of the berries (purple or magenta, whichever you prefer) are a conversation starter. And if you don't like purple (and I would ask - what is wrong with you?), then there are some varieties with white berries.

Other times of the year find the plant lackluster. There are delicate flowers in July (these mature into the berries so whatever you do, don't cut them off). The fall foliage is nice with hues of yellow or orange. 

There are actually several types of this shrub but generally they share close characteristics. Callicarpa bodinieri (Chinese beautyberry) does best in our climate. Most of these shrubs need warm summer temperatures to develop a good berry crop but this performs well in cooler summer areas. The variety called 'Profusion', which is often seen in nurseries, grows upright and can reach 6 feet or more.

Beautyberry shrubs can be planted in groupings or as individual accent plants. For a good showcase of berries, give them a spot in full sun. They will, however, grow well in partial shade but the berries will not be as profuse.

This is an easy, fast-growing shrub and once it is established, it is drought tolerant. In late winter, it can be cut back. It is also good to cut the older stems completely down to the ground. It is late to leaf out in the spring.

I just transplanted mine and it seemed to have made the move with east. And yes, it was covered with berries and they did not seem to be phased.  

The lovely specimen seen in the below photo isn't ours - it is on a neighboring street - and I do love the way it grows here, uncrowded by neighboring plants, unlike in our garden. Alas, I don't have the restraint for this.


Key Characteristics

Botanical Name - Callicarpa bodinieri  (Chinese Beautyberry)
Others include Callicarpa dichotoma (Purple Beautyberry) which has more of a fountain shape; Callicarpa americana, a southeast native with a more open habit and Callicarpa japonica (Japanese or East Asian Beautyberry)
Common Name - Beautyberry
Type: Shrub
Foliage Type: Deciduous
Size - 1-3' tall and wide
Bloom Time - July (Pacific Northwest)
Flower color - Lavender
Leaf color - Dull Green
Exposure - Full sun to part shade
Soil Needs - Well-drained (will tolerate moist soil), drought tolerant once established
Growth Rate -Fast
Disease Resistance - Good
Pruning - Cut back oldest branches to the ground, cut newer ones about 1/3 or more in late winter
Hardiness - Zones 6 (for Callicarpa bodinieri)
Pollinator Friendly: Yes 
Deer Resistant - Yes

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. I've got a couple of cuttings from a friend that I am trying to propagate ...fingers crossed !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot grow American beautyberry to save my life. I have a Japanese one that is beautiful every year. It has small white flowers in spring, but the American eludes me. I've tried numerous times, and what's funny is, it's native to Oklahoma. Go figure. That one, above, is splendid, and I have one friend who has four or five surrounding her patio. Gorgeous things.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  3. The birds love the berries on my beauty berry. I think mine is the Japanese one. Actually I have two of them. I am similar to you in that I have to cut back mine so it fits in its allotted space. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of the beauty berries, the American is my favorite. The purple fruit is just magnificent. I have seen mockingbirds eating the fruit, and in a snowstorm I’ve seen a flock of bluebirds having a go at the smaller Japanese beautyberries and quail eating them off the ground, but the majority shrivel and fall off by Nov/Dec.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those berries are gorgeous. Calliacarpa is one of my holy grail plants, by which I mean a plant I covet that is seemingly impossible to find here. According to the Sunset Western Garden Book, at least three species (bodinieri, dicotoma and japonica) will grow in my Sunset Zone 24 yet I've never found the plants for sale locally. The fact that they're deciduous shrubs may account for that as such plants are, in general, less commonly sold in my part of SoCal where plants that are evergreen are more valued. I'm going to have to try ordering one by mail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The berries on this small shrub are so vibrantly shocking in the PNW winter. Now that I realize it can be cut back substantially, I may be looking to get one for the garden. Gorgeous photos; thanks for the plant review.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts