Skip to main content

Featured

A Closer Look at Winter Damage

But first, take a look at this gorgeous rainbow that we had on Friday! The five-day stretch of warm temperatures last week really jump-started the garden. Now that plants are putting out new growth, it is easier to see what kind of damage the winter left. Back in mid-January, we experienced five straight days of below-freezing temperatures. This caused much damage in Portland and areas where frigid winds were a factor. Here, we were fortunate to not get the wind and the cold temperatures were dampened by a blanket of snow. That said, it was a tough time for the garden and there are noticeable casualties but no outright deaths that I have seen. The bottlebrush ( Callistemon 'Woodlander's Red') did not like the cold at all. It was planted six years ago, in the north-facing garden no less, and I've not experienced die-back on it until now. A local expert said to cut it all the way back so that is what I did. If it doesn't make it, I won't be too distraught. It is

Chocolate Banana Bread


Happy New Year and let's hope this year is a better one. I wanted to thank those who responded with advice about my shoulder. I think it helps you mentally when you realize that you are not the only person that has experienced the misery. I thank you for the helpful tips and encouragement. I would share a piece of this chocolate banana bread if I could but I can at least pass on the recipe.

I was watching a series called "My Greatest Dishes" which features mostly British and Australian chefs. The only one I was familiar with was Prue Leith from "Great British Baking Show". I wasn't familiar with Bill Granger and that is whoe this recipe came from. Upon further investigation, it is a hugely popular recipe and Granger is also credited with inventing avocado toast.

Bill Granger’s Chocolate Banana Bread

  • 2 cups plain (all purpose) flour

  • 2 teaspoons baking powder

  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened

  • 1 cup sugar

  • 4 ripe bananas, mashed

  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • 1 cup chocolate chips

Method

  1. Pre-heat oven to 350.

  2. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl

  3. Mix the butter, sugar, eggs, banana, chocolate chips and vanilla extract in a separate bowl

  4. Add to the dry ingredients and stir to combine, being careful not to over mix

  5. Pour the batter into a non-stick , or lightly greased and floured 9 x 5” loaf pan and bake for 1 hour and 5-10 minutes or until the bread is cooked when tested with a skewer

  6. Leave to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.

 


Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Yum. I'll have to try that. I just made banana bread a few days ago, (because ripe bananas). Choc Chips sounds like a good flavor accent.

    Happy 2021, Phillip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The banana bread looks amazing. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great to me (even if I'm full from dinner). Best wishes for the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks amazing. I will have to check out the series you mentioned, as I love the Great British Baking Show. I wish you a wonderful 2021!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make a simple banana cake in which all ingredients go into a blender, rather than bowl but otherwise similar. I love the idea of making it chocolate banana bread!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts