Dirt Therapy is a gardening blog featuring Pacific Northwest gardening, plant profiles, garden tours, garden travel, gardening tips, and visits to gardens and nurseries throughout Oregon, Washington and beyond.
Wednesday Vignette - Goldenrod & Beautyberry
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
-
Two transplants from last fall - Goldenrod (Solidago 'Fireworks') and Beautyberry (Callicarpa 'Profusion') appears to have made the move with ease.
Wednesday Vignettes are hosted by Anna at Flutter & Hum.
I love Callicarpa. I've never seen it growing down this way, even though the Sunset Western Garden Book claims there's at least one species adapted to our climate.
Ah, the clematis, one of the most beautiful and frustrating of plants. I counted five books on my shelf devoted to them, and I still have to consult them every year when it is time to prune. This year I'm doing something new - moving a few that are obviously not doing well (lack of sun, more than likely). I'm worried about one of my favorites - 'Jackmanii Superba'. First, I had to dig it up when the new gate was constructed. This clematis was massive, and the bottom stalk looked like a small tree. I divided it to give a piece to my neighbor. Somewhere along the way, it was cut back all the way down to the trunk . I'm still asking myself how this happened. Only time will tell if I've killed the poor thing. It has been replanted, and so far, no signs of life. Others that I decided to move were not subjected to that abuse and were moved immediately after I dug them up. This is 'Etoile Violette'. This rampant variety was along the front fence and it alwa...
Pinus contorta 'Chief Joseph' I was really too harsh in my last post concerning the weather. It has actually been a very mild winter, and looking back, I see that I have completed several projects. The first, back in November, was a redo of the twig fence. This has been an ongoing project that has left me unsatisfied. At the beginning, I just piled the twigs up, along an existing chain fence, and soon realized that they would never stand on their own. Critters (squirrels!) continually knocked twigs out of the arrangement, but over time, it was simply gravity that caused problems. I used various methods to try and keep the twigs in place, including using wire to tie them and fence posts to brace them. All temporary solutions. Gravity always reared its ugly head. At the end of summer, I decided on a different approach. The sheer weight of the twigs made a deep wall impractical, so I decided to construct a shallower fence and secure it with a stronger support. This is how it l...
Much to my dismay, I have cut back on sugar consumption. Difficult, because I love sweet treats, but on the other hand, I want to be a healthier person. I still like to bake and I've just discovered "Prue Leith's Cotswold Kitchen" on You Tube and enjoying it very much. That said, I normally make a dessert at least once per week, but I try to have only a piece or two, and share the rest. Going through some of my cookbooks, I came across a series of books by Todd Wilbur, who reproduces recipes from popular chain restaurants. In the first volume, I saw the Ruby Tuesday Strawberry Tall Cake and remembered that it was a favorite of ours. I haven't visited a Ruby Tuesday in ages and I don't know if they still serve this. I decided to give it a try and it turned out pretty good. The photo I took doesn't show the cake layers and is not a very good representation, but you get the idea. Actually, we thought the best way to eat this was in a bowl, kind of like a t...
Comments
Any minute now, those florescent berries will be the only thing illuminating that corner of the garden. They are pretty amazing.