Skip to main content

Featured

Professional Pruning

I rarely resort to hiring help in the garden but I'm learning that sometimes it is wise to do so and worth every penny. Case in point - some hideous out-of-control trees that were beyond my ability to deal with. If I were smarter, I would have tackled these issues from the beginning but I didn't know better. The first is a pear tree that was planted along the back fence line. I've worked on this for the past several years, every year with the intent of reducing the height or possibly removing it altogether. As you can see in the photo, I had cut back everything but three limbs and finally realized that it would be dangerous for me to try and bring them down. The limbs grow straight up into the air and the remaining three are about 20 feet tall.  After -- there is a hole in the sky view but the tree should fill in nicely for a good screen and I can keep it trimmed down from this point forward. Farther down along the fence line, and the view from the deck, are two massive pho

Signs of Spring and Transplanting a Rhododendron


Things are warming up. The daffodils and hellebores are blooming. The days seem to alternate between sunny and mild and cloudy and colder.

I took advantage of a recent mild and sunny day and transplanted a rhododendron. This one ('Golden Gate') was previously located behind the pergola in the back garden and was pretty much being smothered by other plants -

Unlike some other plants, like the buddleia in the previous post, young rhododendrons are easy to move and the root ball is small -



I've moved it to the front border where it will hopefully be happier and bloom nicer than it did in the previous location. I don't know how many soaker hoses I have destroyed by digging into them. On this go-around, I managed to spot the hose before I plunged the shovel into the ground -



I always place rhododendrons slightly higher than ground level - actually I do this with most plants.


Mission accomplished!



I am still in the process of pruning roses. I got all of the clematis pruned and I hope to get them fertilized tomorrow.

Many perennials are beginning to emerge and need last year's dead growth removed. Case in point - this euphorbia -



I think I heard the plant cheering after I did that.

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. I'm sure you felt cheerful as well after completing those tasks, Phillip. That's a great way to celebrate the start of the spring season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Transferring your Rhodi encourages me to move mine, a compact PJM. The big question, as always, is where to...
    Which Euphorbia is featured in the photos above?
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts