Skip to main content

Featured

A Closer Look at Winter Damage

But first, take a look at this gorgeous rainbow that we had on Friday! The five-day stretch of warm temperatures last week really jump-started the garden. Now that plants are putting out new growth, it is easier to see what kind of damage the winter left. Back in mid-January, we experienced five straight days of below-freezing temperatures. This caused much damage in Portland and areas where frigid winds were a factor. Here, we were fortunate to not get the wind and the cold temperatures were dampened by a blanket of snow. That said, it was a tough time for the garden and there are noticeable casualties but no outright deaths that I have seen. The bottlebrush ( Callistemon 'Woodlander's Red') did not like the cold at all. It was planted six years ago, in the north-facing garden no less, and I've not experienced die-back on it until now. A local expert said to cut it all the way back so that is what I did. If it doesn't make it, I won't be too distraught. It is

Too Early for Winter Clean-Up?


Winter continues its grip on our region and it needs to go bye-bye. Since returning from my trip to Alabama last week, I've been itching to get out and begin the garden clean-up but I hesitate. I think it is best to wait until temperatures are above 50 before cutting plants back for the sake of insects that are using the plants for shelter. 

The rose pruning can begin and I will start that this week. However, the weather is just icky - wet and cold - and getting out there requires some willpower. 

I did go ahead and cut back the ornamental grasses, which I felt guilty about, but it is done.



I also got an interior job completed, something I've wanted to do for a long time - installing a tool rack on the garage wall and attaching brackets to hold our ladders. This blank area of wall has always irked me and the fact that we are constantly stumbling over tools on the floor begged that the space be used. The reason I kept putting the project off was because I could not drill a hole in the dense concrete wall (and I tried several times). The solution that finally presented itself was the purchase of a rather inexpensive hammer drill. A highly recommended tool! 

After contemplating buying a ready-made rack to attach to the wall, I finally decided to create my own using a piece of wood that I bolted to the wall (thanks to the hammer drill) and attached brackets on the wood bar to hold the tools. A sense of accomplishment and it made a big difference. At least I can now get in and out of my truck without stumbling over tools and ladders. Our tiny garage is cramped enough as it is.



Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Even here in coastal SoCal it feels too cold to tackle a lot of our usual "late winter" projects but I'm slowly ticking them off. Of course, snow isn't a factor here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished cutting back all the clumps the Japanese Forrest Grass yesterday. I started in mid February, before the lates cold snap, when I thought (hoped) winter was mostly done. If one waits and the grasses start growing, it becomes a big job in a hurry.
    Good job on the tool rack. It must feel awesome after having to managed without one all those years!
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts