Skip to main content

Featured

The Wet, Wet Garden

After worrying about the rain deficit (we were below normal for April), Mother Nature generously rewarded us with an abundance of rain this past week. I am not going to complain although I do wish it would skip my off-days. Today (Saturday) is an especially wet day. I ventured out briefly and took a few shots. The plants grow so fast from the rain. Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Dividing & Transplanting Joe Pye Weed



A major job that I dreaded this fall was digging up, dividing and transplanting  Joe Pye Weed (Eutrochium purpureum). 

One of my favorite perennials, it makes a commanding statement in the garden. A clump of tall erect stems with puffy pink flowers appear in late summer. In fall, the leaves are a bright yellow.

It started out innocently enough...

In 2017 (it was either planted that year or the year before), it was tall by autumn but only five or six stalks...



Two years later, much taller (7 feet!) and wider but manageable (I'm sure we had cut away at the sides)...



And last year (2022), starting to spread...


This year it has not been that attractive and apparently, I did not even photograph it. The blooms were short-lived, and the plant is sprawling.  Time for action!

I had longed thought that the plant was too large for the area where it is located. So I decided that I move it to another area of the garden.

After cutting the canes back about half-way (I did this a few weeks ago), I started digging around the clump. It wasn't really that bad as the plant is not too deep-rooted, it is just wide. Having a bum knee didn't help matters much.



After almost falling into the thing and poking my eyes out, I decided to cut the stalks down all the way to the ground. Much better!


I was going nowhere with attempting to divide the clump with my shovel. "Christina, bring me the axe!"


This worked much better and I divided the entire clump into three pieces. This should probably be divided even further. They are so heavy!


A newly planted clump just in time for soaking rains overnight...



It will be interesting to see how this does in its new home. It was in a damp spot previously and they do like moisture. This area is a drier location although we water a lot. Until next season!

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Another great plant I wish I could grow in my climate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not realize it couldn't be grown everywhere.

      Delete
  2. Please follow up next year. I want to see the companion plantings. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you plant all the divisions in the garden? Did one dropped back into the original spot? Maybe a slightly dryer location will contain the exuberant growth...
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I planted 2 of the divisions in different areas (I'm putting something different in the original location). I divided the third piece into two pieces and plan to share them.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts