Skip to main content

Featured

The Wet, Wet Garden

After worrying about the rain deficit (we were below normal for April), Mother Nature generously rewarded us with an abundance of rain this past week. I am not going to complain although I do wish it would skip my off-days. Today (Saturday) is an especially wet day. I ventured out briefly and took a few shots. The plants grow so fast from the rain. Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Transplanting Cascara & Buttonbush

There are so many plants in the garden that I want to move but finding the motivation is a challenge. Part of it stems from the fact that simply moving something in this garden usually involves moving other plants. It is a game of musical chairs. 

An eyesore that I have been contemplating all year is the large photinia along the back fence directly in back of the Pan garden. It appears to be dead although I am not certain about that. Whatever the case might be, it is totally leafless. 

Photinia


I envisioned more evergreens along the back fence line but another idea emerged. I had planted a Cascara (Frangula purshiana) (native here) in a truly awful spot along the fence line on the opposite side of the garden, down by the garden shed. Might this tree work where the dead photinia is? I know that it is a fast-growing tree and while it is not evergreen, it is beautiful when the leaves are on and it attracts all kinds of birds and insects.

Planted smack-dab in front of the photinia and really the only feasible spot for a tree was the Button Bush (Cephalanthus occidentalis) which was planted in 2017. It has been doing really well in that spot although you can't see it unless you walk back into the border. But if I moved it, where would it go? You can see my dilemma.

Finally, I decided to relocate the Button Bush to the shady border closer to the pergola. There, I dug up the 'Geisha Gone Wild' Japanese maple and put it back in a pot (this is a good thing as the spot in the border was not the best location for the maple). 

The transplanted Button Bush (it is hard to see because of the twig fence)


And now a spot for the Cascara!


The transplanted Cascara which will hopefully thicken up and
provide a nicer backdrop in the border.


Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. You're a brave gardener, Phillip. I'm always afraid to move plants, especially when they're relatively large. I hope the Cascara - and the Acer and button bush - prosper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that was a job! I would easily talk myself out of moving something that large, lol. It is definitely worth it tho, can't wait to see them take off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's odd seeing Photinia grown to a tree size rather than it's common use of a hedge.
    Did you leave the Photinia in place for the time being?
    It's hard to get motivated to move a plant when you know you'll have to shuffle 2-3 others too. Musical chairs indeed, unavoidable as the garden matures it tells you what it needs. Everything will be doing and looking better now.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photinias (there was a line of them along the back fence) were here when we moved in. I don't think they had ever been pruned and when you don't do that, they become trees. I'm leaving it for the time being, mainly because I'm not sure exactly how to cut it down as most of it leans over to the neighbor's side. A professional will probably be needed. On the other hand, I've contemplated planting something that would grow up it. I do have a Lady Banks rose that needs to be relocated...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts