Skip to main content

Featured

The Wet, Wet Garden

After worrying about the rain deficit (we were below normal for April), Mother Nature generously rewarded us with an abundance of rain this past week. I am not going to complain although I do wish it would skip my off-days. Today (Saturday) is an especially wet day. I ventured out briefly and took a few shots. The plants grow so fast from the rain. Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Fall Color on Japanese Maples


The fall colors are just incredible this year and during the past week, it looks like the saturation filter has been dramatically increased. 

The most colorful has to be the maples. In the top photo of our front pathway, you can see 'Skeeter's Broom' on the left and 'Sango Kaku' (the Coral Bark maple) on the right. 

I've never seen color on 'Dancing Peacock' (in a pot) like this before -

Acer japonicum 'Aconitifolium' ('Dancing Peacock')

And 'Golden Full Moon', very small right now, is just getting started -

Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' ('Golden Full Moon')

The color on 'Osakazuki' occurs very late, sometimes too late, but happens overnight - 

Acer palmatum 'Osakazuki'

And then it changes even more. The upper photo was taken three days ago, the bottom on yesterday - 



'Sango Kaku', better known as the Coral Bark Maple, so called because of the red stem color (on newer stems) -



'Skeeter's Broom' is one of the prettiest maples in front -




'Shaina' is a variety I recommend for tight spots -




'Ryusen' is a weeping variety -




'Ryusen' as seen from the back with the morning sunlight shining through it -




'Beni-Hime'


And finaly, 'Bloodgood', which was already here when we moved in -





Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. You have a LOT of Japanese maples! They make a gorgeous showing. My 'Sango Kaku' has yet to shown any color whatsoever but it isn't dropping any leaves yet either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I can't pick a favorite, what glorious color. What a delight to come home to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your and Michael's garden is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Japanese maples. There's no way to pick a favorite this time of year; they are all stunning in their own way. Didn't you use to grow Acer palmatum 'Geisha Gone Wild'...
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do have that one. I moved it from a pot to the ground and it is in way too much shade. I'm going to dig it back up and put it in a pot again so I move it to a better location. The fall color is still pretty good on it. I forgot to photograph it.

      Delete
  5. Hopefully moving to Vancouver next summer. Your garden has given me such great ideas. I love that you identify the plant names in your videos!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts