Featured

Favorites from the June Garden

Foxtail Lily (Eremurus x isabellinus 'Pinokkio') and Salvia nemorosa 'Caradonna'


Taking a pause from garden tour photos (there are more to come), I'm looking through some photos from our own garden. June has been a wonderful month and I can't believe it is near the end. 

Here are some favorites -

Self-Heal (Prunella 'Summer Daze') - What a pleasant surprise this turned out to be! I bought it late in the season last year from the native plant table. Not seeing it in bloom and attracted by the description, I planted it haphazardly behind the mailbox and remember that it almost didn't make it. It is stunning this year and blooming its little head off. I'm surprised it is doing so well considering that it is a plant that likes lot of moisture. 

Meadow-Rue (Ruta graveolens) - A long-time favorite, planted alongside our driveway where the conditions are the most brutal in the garden. It is such a graceful plant and blooms for a long time.

Campanula 'Birch Hybrid' - another surprise from the nursery that has proven to be tough, beautiful and long blooming. I'm always wary of campanula because of its spreading tendencies and this one may be typical but as of now, I'm not complaining.

Alstroemeria 'Indian Summer' is a perennial I've wanted for a long time. We had never carried it until now. It came from Monrovia so if you know them, you know I spent a pretty penny but it has been worth it. 

On the mailbox - Clematis 'Tiaga', spectacular for a second year.

Indian Pink (Spigelia marilandica 'Little Redhead') - I loved this plant in the South but here you rarely see it and it seldom comes through our nursery. This plant has had several stalks wither up and die, so I'm crossing my fingers that it will cease. 

Martagon Lily - I've lost the name of the variety. They are so beautiful.

Daphne 'Briggs Moonlight' - I think I've told the story about bringing this home from the nursery as a rescue. I had no hopes for it but it showed me. It seems to like neglect and dryness (it is planted underneath the eave of the roof). 

Potato Vine (Solanum crispum 'Glasnevin'), moved from the opposite side of the back fence in March (or April), it survived the transplant. My favorite color in the garden.

Persicaria 'Golden Arrow' 

Sometimes you plop a plant in the ground not expecting much but hoping for a temporary gap filler. Such was the case of Dianthus barbatus 'Sooty' (what a horrible name). A profuse bloomer this year with very rich color, a deep maroon red. If you are color conscious, it may be difficult to work around.

Wiegela 'Wings of Fire' - I've never known this to bloom but I love it for the foliage. It remains beautiful like this as long as it is watered (I learned last year that it doesn't like to be deprived) and the fall foliage is especially nice.

Tatting Fern (Athyrium filix-femina 'Frizelliae') - I don't give as much attention to ferns as other plants. This is one of our favorites.

Rose 'Ballerina' and Dappled Willow (Salix integra 'Hakuro-Nishiki')

Daphne tangutica

Cleome 'Senorita Rosalita' - my favorite annual


Let's hope July is as beautiful!

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Each and every one of your plants is lovely, Phillip. I've always wanted to grow foxtail lilies but they're definitely outside my range. I'm trying to make do with the closest match I could come up with for my climate, Drimia maritima (aka sea squill) but it's an unreliable bloomer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful! Thanks for reminding me about Spigelia. Need to get some of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, all of them. May your July be just as.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden is spectacular. I especially love the clematis. Thank you for sharing these photos.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts