Skip to main content

Featured

Fort Vancouver Garden

I was not interested in watching the debate last week, so I decided to get out of the house. I've been wanting to visit the Fort Vancouver Garden for years and decided to go on the spur of the moment.  Once I got there, it occurred to me that this was not the peak time to see a vegetable garden but what I did see was interesting and there were quite a number for visitors milling about.  This garden once comprised eight acres and the food grown there fed the Hudson's Bay Company Fort's  residents. Today's garden is a smaller version and the vegetables and flowers grown there are some of the same varieties found in the fort's records. Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Gregg Andrews' Garden


The HPSO Vancouver West Side Mini Tour concludes with the garden of Gregg Andrews. I saw his garden years ago shortly after moving here. That tour was probably the Clark County Natural Garden Tour (it took place today but I was working so unable to attend). 



Gregg's garden begins with a cottage garden that surrounds the front and sides of the house with a profusion of roses, perennials and wisteria that runs along the wrap-around porch.




After leaving the front garden through a side gate, the garden becomes heavily shaded by fir trees. Pathways lead to a large circular brick patio, a small pond, hidden seating areas and a tree house.




Along the way are many artistic touches, such as this beautiful stepping stone -


A vegetable garden is located on the other side of the house but by this time my camera battery had expired as well as the tour. We had arrived at his garden just minutes before the 4pm closing time but he generously allowed us to wander through. Thank you Gregg!

This past weekend, four more gardens in Vancouver were on tour, this time on the East side of town. I will have photos to share on later posts.

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Everything is so GREEN in Vancouver, it's a shock to my eyes! Beautiful garden, I'm glad you got to share a bit with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of secret seating places - and a treehouse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charming--I love flowery gardens, but this one also has a beautiful foliage-mostly area as well. Gorgeous stepping stone--we wants one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts