Skip to main content

Featured

Fort Vancouver Garden

I was not interested in watching the debate last week, so I decided to get out of the house. I've been wanting to visit the Fort Vancouver Garden for years and decided to go on the spur of the moment.  Once I got there, it occurred to me that this was not the peak time to see a vegetable garden but what I did see was interesting and there were quite a number for visitors milling about.  This garden once comprised eight acres and the food grown there fed the Hudson's Bay Company Fort's  residents. Today's garden is a smaller version and the vegetables and flowers grown there are some of the same varieties found in the fort's records. Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Mexican Lobelia



Lobelia is a diverse genus encompassing more than four hundred species. When it come to the perennial types, most are familiar with Lobelia cardinalis, the "Cardinal Flower". I've never been able to grow it successfully. I have learned that it is one of the few perennials that can be recommended for wet soils. Usually sitting right next to it on the nursery table is the Mexican Lobelia (Lobelia laxiflora) which is completely different in looks and temperament. 

A native of Mexico, Central America and Arizona, it thrives in drought-tolerant conditions and neglect. Too much water can result in the plant becoming rampant. I had first planted this in the hodgepodge border along the back of the house where it quickly became lost among its neighbors and no doubt, getting too much water. I moved it last fall to the border along our driveway. I didn't expect it to come back after the harsh winter we had (the hardiness factor is listed as 7) but was thrilled to see new growth this spring.

I like the looks of this plant with its narrow, willow-like leaves and of course for the tubular flowers which are red and orange with yellow centers. Needless to say, the hummingbirds love it. I've read that the growth is rampant but so far, ours grows in a tidy mound. It can reach 2-3 ft. in height and spread.

Apparently this plant was used for anti-flamatory purposes in ancient cultures. It contains a chemical that is being studied for neurological disorders.

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. I inherited Lobelia laxiflora with my current garden. It is indeed a hummingbird magnet. Coincidentally, I have a post scheduled to publish tomorrow featuring both hummingbirds and the Lobelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors on your Mexican Lobelia! I have Lobelia aguana, and it's a polite spreader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tz_garden - I love your phrase "polite spreader"!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts