Skip to main content

Featured

Fort Vancouver Garden

I was not interested in watching the debate last week, so I decided to get out of the house. I've been wanting to visit the Fort Vancouver Garden for years and decided to go on the spur of the moment.  Once I got there, it occurred to me that this was not the peak time to see a vegetable garden but what I did see was interesting and there were quite a number for visitors milling about.  This garden once comprised eight acres and the food grown there fed the Hudson's Bay Company Fort's  residents. Today's garden is a smaller version and the vegetables and flowers grown there are some of the same varieties found in the fort's records. Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Revisting the McElhaney Garden


The last garden on the East Vancouver Mini-Tour was that of Judy and Roger McElhaney. I had visited their garden previously in 2016 and was just blown away. It is hard to believe that it is now eight years later.


At first, I didn't recognize their garden. It is astounding how things have grown. The majority is very shady with the exception of one side (pictured above) that is open to the sky. 


A beautiful Mock Orange




Acer palmatum 'Shirazz'


This was the most beautiful shrub, about 5 feet tall and wide and covered with blooms. Judy could not remember what it was but we decided it might be a deutzia.








Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. It's a beautiful mature garden, with every plant perfectly situated to make the most of that wooded landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful shady garden, I can feel the cooler temps through the pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts