Skip to main content

Featured

A Visit to Lux Perennials

I've been wanting to visit Lux Perennials for years now and finally got a chance last week. In a word - Wow! The nursery is located at the owner's home, located west of Portland, up in the hills on Skyline Blvd. The property is breathtaking with fantastic views. A small nursery features perennials propagated from plants in the garden. There were also some plants from commercial sources, notably Proven Winners. I mainly was interested in the display garden but of course I did end up buying some plants. Of course! The nursery is located on the front side of the house and the garden is behind it. Taking the path leading back to the garden, the first thing I spotted was this stunning Monkey Puzzle Tree. Michael has wanted one of them for ages. I finally bought one last year and have it in a pot. I have no idea where such a thing would fit in our garden. Fact - the first time I ever heard of the Monkey Puzzle Tree was in one of my all-time favorite films (and one of the few films

The Plants Bees Love





In this day and time, I would hope gardeners understand the importance of bees and other insects in the garden. However, from time to time, a person comes into the nursery and asks for plants that will NOT attract bees (sigh). They are not really gardeners though, they are just looking for a plant to fill a space.

I find myself more and more intrigued by bees although I don't know that much about the different types. I do make note of plants that they like and try to add as many as I can to the garden.

Over the past weeks, with watering a daily activity amidst a lingering heat-wave, I've conducted an informal survey and noted the plants that they seem to like the most.

Butterfly Weed (Asclepias tuberosa)

Butterfly Weed (Asclepias tuberosa) is one of my favorite perennials and the bees love it too. I don't think I've ever seen a butterfly on it but we don't seem to have many of those. Everybody wants the "Showy Milkweed" (Asclepias speciosa) but I knew it was on its way to take over the garden so I removed it (and it is still trying to return). This one, however, is very well-behaved and doesn't spread. It is so easy to grow and rarely requires watering.

Aster 'Monch' - do you see the bee on the bottom flower?

In a month or so, the Asters will be buzzing with bees. Along with Goldenrod, they are the top plants for bee activity in the late summer and fall garden. I have several varieties, all of them lovely. The only one blooming at the moment is 'Monch' which is just beginning.

Cephalanthus occidentalis (Button Bush)


Button Bush (Cephalanthus occidentalist) is an unusual shrub with flowers that look like a pincushion. I transplanted it early this year and it has made the move smoothly. Last year it was swarming with bees. Buttonbush is also a host plant for several types of caterpillars. 


Erynigium planum 'Blue Glitter'


Sea Holly or Thistle (Erynigium) grows along the driveway border and it has greatly increased in size this year. This is a plant you have to be careful around because of its prickly nature.

Bush Honeysuckle (Diervilla sesslifolia 'Firefly')

I just purchased this shrub about a month ago to replace a flowering quince. This got my attention at the nursery because it was a buzz of activity with the bees. I've noticed bees on it since I've planted it and excited to see what it does. The colors of the leaves are fantastic!

Pearly Everlasting (Anaphalis margaritacea)

Pearly Everlasting (Anaphalis margaritacea) has just started to bloom. It is a good source of nectar for late summer visitors. This is a Northwest native plant.

Veronica longiflora 'Vernique White' 


Veronica longiflora 'Vernique White' is a perennial that I've had for about five years. At times, it has died back and looked puny but it has always returned. I cut back the blooms when they have faded and it blooms again shortly afterward.

Sourwood (Oxydendrum arboretum)

The flowers of the Sourwood (Oxydendrum arboretum) seem to last all summer long. This slow-growing tree is so beautiful, especially in the autumn when the leaves turn fiery colors.

Germander (Teucrium chamaedrys 'Summer Sunshine')

Germander (Teucrium chamaedrys 'Summer Sunshine') - I discovered germander a few years ago and loved the blue flowers that seemed to last all summer. I have both the blue variety and this pink one which grows smaller. 


Hydrangea paniculata 'Little Quickfire'

Hydrangeas are often overlooked as a bee-interest plants but the panicle types (Paniculata as well as the oak-leafs (Quercifolia) are very popular with the insects.

All of these plants are visited regularly and some constantly by bees but the following five are my picks for the most popular - 


Allium 'Millinium'

#5 Allium 'Millinium' - This is the only allium we grow and so far (knock wood), haven't seen any wandering plants. This is such a pretty plant and blooms for an exceptionally long time. 


Geranium 'Rozanne'

#4 Geranium - Several varieties are in the garden. 'Rozanne' takes the award for continuous bloom. A dwarf 'Rozanne' called 'Azure Rush' was added last year and it too is a non-stop blooming machine. 'Rozanne' plants have become quite large over the years at least three feet tall and five or six feet wide. It could be sheared back although the blooms never seem to take a break.


Chaste Tree (Vitex agnus-castus)

#3 - My favorite small tree is the Chaste Tree (Vitex agnus-castus) and it is always a cause of celebration when it starts to bloom. It started last week and the bees are already all over it as usual. This is such an undemanding tree and a small one for limited spaces. It deserves to be better known.


Lavender

#2 - Lavender - It doesn't matter what variety it is or if its an English or Spanish lavender, the bees will come. These plants are constantly adrift with bees. My favorites are the Spanish lavenders. I do love the 'Wee One' which is very tiny and 'Platinum Blonde' is a vigorous variegated lavender that has proved to be a workhorse. Once you get the hang of pruning (frequent and light) and watering (basically, don't!), they are easy peasy.



#1 - And finally, my choice for #1 would be Oregano (Origanum vulgare). Planted along the street, the plants have become large clumps which have to be sheared ocassionally. Right now they are covered with tiny white flowers and an incredible number of bees that never lets up.

And here is another Oregano called 'Hopley's Purple' which is very attractive with purple flowers.



That is just a sampling and I"m sure I've left some great ones out. What are your favorite bee-loving plants?

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy




Comments

  1. Lovely post, Philip. I planted a couple of Allium 'Millinium' last year which are about to bloom for the first time: fingers crossed that they are indeed mostly sterile, as advertised. I like the orange blooms of Asclepias tuberosa and I'll look for it in nurseries.
    Bees are swarming the cat mint (nepeta) in my garden all season long, which is the major reason why I keep it.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. I happen to see Butterfly Weed (Asclepias tuberosa) in a nursery just days ofter reading your blog. The photo of those lovely orange blooms were too tempting and I bought it. I hope it behaves well in my garden too.
      Chavli

      Delete
    2. I think you will like it. It is one of my favorite perennials. It is very well-behaved.

      Delete
  2. I found that borage is a great attractor for bees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. I grew it in a pot a few years ago. You have to be careful with it. It reseeds easily.

      Delete
  3. You're doing a great job supporting those busy pollinators, Phillip! In my garden, the Grevilleas, especially 'Superb', are the strongest draws for bees but they also like the Magnolia and rosemary blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if it is my favorite bee magnet, but it is certainly a surprise. Last year I planted a ton of elfin thyme as a ground cover in the front yard. The bees just love the purple blossoms covering those green mounds of thyme leaves. Debbie C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have many lovely places for the bees to land. The milkweed looks really beautiful. A few of my attractors are the salvias, sunflowers and lavender. The pepper tree is full of hundreds of bees when it's in bloom. You can hear the buzzing as soon as you open the door.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts