Skip to main content

Featured

The Wet, Wet Garden

After worrying about the rain deficit (we were below normal for April), Mother Nature generously rewarded us with an abundance of rain this past week. I am not going to complain although I do wish it would skip my off-days. Today (Saturday) is an especially wet day. I ventured out briefly and took a few shots. The plants grow so fast from the rain. Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Favorites from the June Garden

Catalpa bignoinoides 'Aurea' and Calmagrostis x acutiflora 'Karl Foerster'



Another month coming to an end. It has been a busy one but despite a late start, a fairly glorious one with beautiful weather. Some plants are definitely behind schedule, but the cooler temperatures have kept the blooms lingering and foliage fresh and healthy. It is beginning to heat up though and 94 is predicted for the 4th. 

The 'Wolf Eyes' dogwood has put on a tremendous amount of growth this year. Our tree is twice the size of the one in our previous garden. The photo below was taken slightly above the tree standing on the terrace steps. It looks much bigger when looking up at it from below.


While on the subject of trees, the Smoke Tree 'Golden Spirit' is one of the prettiest things in the garden. It is a tree or rather "large shrub" that always brings me pleasure. It continues to look good throughout the season. When I'm sitting on the deck looking down at it in the distance, it stands out like a beacon but not overpowering. The 'Royal Purple' variety in the front garden looks great as well.



In the shade garden, most of the blooms have subsided with the exception of two perennials - Astrania maxima - which was a gift from Matthew of The Lents Farmer in 2017. It continues to flourish. I just added another Astrantia, 'Star of Beauty' a few weeks ago. 





The second is the Goat's Beard (Aruncus dioicus), a 2019 purchase from Joy Creek Nursery that Tamara of Chickadee Gardens recommended. She said I would love it - she was right!




Daphne does so well here in our climate although it lingers in my mind as a finicky plant. Most of the ones I've planted have done well with the exception of a rock daphne which began to decline almost immediately after I planted it. Daphne tangutica was unknown to me but recommended by my boss when it arrived at the garden center. He says it is his favorite and I like it very much. Underneath it is Blue-eyed Mary (Omphaloides verna), a gift from Rueben Hatch and a Hebe. 


Clematis 'Arabella' is really growing in leaps and gets the award this year for most improved clematis. Next to it is newly planted Artemesia ludoviciana 'Valerie Ennis'.



In the pot is Calamagrostis 'Eldorado' and it has been there for at least three seasons. In the foreground is Persicaria 'Golden Arrow'. The flowers have not started yet on this one. The hydrangea behind it is 'Pistachio' which always blooms very late.


Lychnis arkwrightii 'Orange Gnome' (Campion), a new purchase and how could I resist this? The plant doesn't seem to be growing that much but that orange!



I think I sometimes take many of the commonplace plants for granted. As I stepping down the terrace, I noticed how beautiful the golden sage was and stopped to take a photo. I think this was planted last year. It has filled in very nicely. The heather behind it is probably 'Multicolor' but could be 'Firefly'. I've yet to figure out how to tell the two apart and I have both in the garden.



Finally just a few roses. 'Ballerina' is new but take a look at that bloom cluster! 

'Swany' has decided that it wants to be a climber and has ascended up the fence and now over it! And my hopes for it was a cascading shrub for the trough...


The David Austin rose 'Tess' has improved after a disappointing first year. I would like for this to climb on the fence alongside party crasher 'Swany'. 


And, finally, why not one more look at the Redbud 'Flamethrower' - it is certainly deserving.


Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Your June garden looks spectacular, Phillip! I wish I could grow trees like Cotinus 'Golden Spirit' and Cercis 'Flamethrower'. And I'd be thrilled to have roses that vigrous in my garden. I hope the coming heatwave doesn't singe anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, everything is looking F.I.N.E. fine! The Golden Spirit is very pretty. Ballerina was so full I didn't quite recognize it as a rose for a second. So many great combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an amazing gardener, but do you have help from the climate there, and/or any fertilizer? You’ve done amazing things in the relatively short time you’ve been in the northwest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phillip what can I say about this Redbud Flamethrower ? You have me totally in love with it .. I have a "baby" Eastern Redbud planted just this Spring, and I love it's tiny heart shaped leaves so much .. but the colour on this one is stunning and I would love to have it, and Wolf Eyes Dogwood .. those wavy variegated leaves look like water ripples, it is so beautiful ! Yes I do love my Golden Spirit smokebush along with Royal Purple .. even the smell of them when I trim, makes me smile, something from my childhood in the woods I think .. our sense of smell can be such a wonder at times. I didn't plant Golden Sage this year and now I won't be able to find it, yours is gorgeous ! You are right about gardeners some times forgetting to appreciate those more common plants .. I have swung back to appreciating Lady's Mantle so much more again ! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts