Redbud 'Flame Thrower' - The Star of the Show
'Flame Thrower' was developed by Dennis Werner, a professor of horticulture at North Carolina State University where he has bred redbuds for twenty-four years. In 2021, 'Flame Thrower' was voted 'Plant of the Year' at the Chelsea Flower Show. In England, it is marketed as 'Eternal Flame'.
I've always thought of redbuds as shade-loving trees but they, along with many other plants, tolerate a considerable amount of sun here in the Pacific Northwest. I was afraid that 'Flame Thrower' was suffering last year from too much sun. Drooping leaves seem to be a common trait with them which is one characteristic I do not like. They do prefer moist soil conditions and it is good to keep them in a consistent moist environment but one that is not too wet.
It will be interesting to see how the redbuds fare in our garden here in the Pacific Northwest. They have a shaky reputation and many die from fungal issues and root rot from too wet soils during the winter months.



Comments