Skip to main content

Featured

The Wet, Wet Garden

After worrying about the rain deficit (we were below normal for April), Mother Nature generously rewarded us with an abundance of rain this past week. I am not going to complain although I do wish it would skip my off-days. Today (Saturday) is an especially wet day. I ventured out briefly and took a few shots. The plants grow so fast from the rain. Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

A New Year and a Morning Walk at Burnt Bridge Creek Trail



2024 has arrived and it was such an unusually sunny day. Just gorgeous! I stopped making resolutions years ago but one thing I want to do (I'm not calling it a resolution) is to do more walking. I've been walking around the neighborhood for the past few weeks but decided to try a nearby trail and so happy I discovered it. 

Burnt Bridge Creek Trail is only 1/2 mile from our house. I've passed by the entrance a million times and never realized how beautiful and extensive it is. The trail actually stretches about 8 miles, all the way over to the east side of Vancouver with breaks along the way. I walked the first trek, which ends on Hazel Dell Avenue with a total distance of 1.5 miles. Turning back made a total of 3 miles so I felt pretty good with myself.


The trail is fascinating because there are a number of varying characteristics along the route. It starts out at the Fruit Valley Road entrance where there is a boggy area that is populated with ducks.

The paved trail leads eastward through trees, rocks and ferns. There is something to see even this time of year. I imagine it is even more beautiful in spring and summer.






An open meadow-like area has a number of newly done island beds that looks to be planted with native plants.




About half-way down the trail, there are bridges and a small creek.


Also, some interesting touches along the way -





You can find more information on the Burnt Bridge Creek Trail on the following websites:




Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. That looks like a wonderful place to walk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine a better place to walk, Phillip! I usually do 2 loops of my neighborhood but that gets dull. There are a couple of trails nearby but they don't hold a candle to yours. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I like to have different scenery.

      Delete
  3. Such a great place for daily walks, what a find! It will be fun to see what it looks like in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a lot to see in this nice walk. Keep up the good walk. You will be ready to work hard in the garden this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a really lovely spot for a walk. I don’t do resolutions either, but I do sometimes use a nudge word. Sounds like your 2024 nudge word is simply WALK!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely place to walk! I don’t do resolutions either, but sometimes I use a nudge word instead. Sounds like your 2024 nudge word is simply WALK!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent walking trail for you to explore. I love snapping photos of nature as I walk: its very satisfying. Once the seasons change, so will your surroundings on the walk. There's always something new to look at.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts