Skip to main content

Featured

The Wet, Wet Garden

After worrying about the rain deficit (we were below normal for April), Mother Nature generously rewarded us with an abundance of rain this past week. I am not going to complain although I do wish it would skip my off-days. Today (Saturday) is an especially wet day. I ventured out briefly and took a few shots. The plants grow so fast from the rain. Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Operation Azara



The snow and ice melt has been slow going but it looks like it might finally be out of here this weekend. There has been some sunshine today but temps are only 36 so the ground is still covered.

Every time we have weather like this, the two plants that suffer the most are my favorites (of course!) - the Azara (Azara microphylla) and the Strawberry Tree (Arbutus unedo). I had major damage on the Strawberry Tree from the heavy snowfall we experienced in April 2022. The poor thing has emerged from that onslaught nicely although it still looks out of whack. This time, there was no damage that I can see.

The Azara had been staked with heavy-duty supports following that 2022 snowfall after it was literally laying on the ground. This time, it remained vertical. However, the long branches were splayed in every direction -



I knocked the ice off the best that I could but was worried that the branches would break on Thursday night considering we were under the threat of yet another ice event. So, I braved the elements, got out the tall ladder and started pulling the branches together. I secured them with the outer layer of a flexible hose. The flexible hoses do not last, in my experience, but I'm glad we saved them. Michael had earlier removed the inner, rubber hose with the intention of using it as a tie but it desintegrates when exposed to the sun. Fortunately, the outer lining is more durable, and it is being put to good use. 

So the poor Azara lives on! That is, until we see what the next storm will have in store for it.  



Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Ice is always the worst winter condition to deal with. It is good that you got out there and did what you could do to hopefully prevent disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ice is the worst. I'm sure it's much better to look out and see it safely tied up than being splayed out on the ground. I hope you're in full melt now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, elegant shrub. Best of luck getting it through this tough winter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts