Skip to main content

Featured

The Wet, Wet Garden

After worrying about the rain deficit (we were below normal for April), Mother Nature generously rewarded us with an abundance of rain this past week. I am not going to complain although I do wish it would skip my off-days. Today (Saturday) is an especially wet day. I ventured out briefly and took a few shots. The plants grow so fast from the rain. Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Drunken Amaryllis



Growing amaryllis is easy and fun but every year it is a fight to keep them upright once they begin to bloom because the stems are too tall. I read about a technique, discovered by Cornell University, and it works.

The trick is to give them a dose of alcohol. Any alcoholic beverage is fine - vodka, whiskey, etc., anything but beer. Wait until the stalk has emerged two or three inches and then water with a solution of 1 part alcohol to 7 parts water. You can also use regular rubbing alcohol, but the ratio is different - 1 part alcohol to 11 parts water. The alcohol limits the growth of the stem to one third of the normal growth and results is thicker, sturdier stalks. And, who knows, maybe it makes the amaryllis happier?

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. I heard of that method used when forcing paper weight daffodils.
    The scarf'ed baby pan is a nice touch!
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does work for paperwhites - I haven't tried it but the article mentioned them.

      Delete
  2. That's hilarious, Phillip. Of those I've grown in the last few years, only the Cybister Amaryllis types seem to be growing tall enough to lean significantly. As I inevitably cut most of mine for flower arrangements, leaning stems aren't a big issue but I'll keep that tip in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you keep watering with that alcohol and water combination each day after it gets a few inches tall, or just once and it arrests the height enough? Mine was a gift after Christmas, so it was a bit desiccated and I wondered whether it would sprout at all. It has a bud on a 2 inches tall stem, total about 5 inches counting the bud now, and the leaves coming up are only about 2 inches with dried tips from its dry history. I wonder if it will be naturally stunted anyway from being dormant too long, or whether I should go ahead and give it an alcoholic drink soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first pot it up, I just use regular water. Then, when it sprouts and begins to growth, I started watering with the alcohol/water solution. You are supposed to continue watering with it. I don't water amaryllis that often, maybe just once per week. They don't seem to need that much. Yours should continue to grow. I would just snip off the brown tips.

      Delete
  4. I have heard of this trick, then forgot about it. Your amaryllis bloom is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts