Skip to main content

Featured

The Wet, Wet Garden

After worrying about the rain deficit (we were below normal for April), Mother Nature generously rewarded us with an abundance of rain this past week. I am not going to complain although I do wish it would skip my off-days. Today (Saturday) is an especially wet day. I ventured out briefly and took a few shots. The plants grow so fast from the rain. Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

After the Freeze - a check on the more delicate plants

Cyclamen coum

The snow and ice are history (for now) and the weather is a lot different this week. Yesterday was a balmy 50 degrees and sunshine. It was a great time to work in the garden and assess what the storm left.

Whenever freezing conditions arrive, my mind always goes blank when it comes to what needs to be covered. I know I should make a list but of course I never do. A few plants automatically come to mind but there are those that have been in the ground for years and I assume they are safe.

Here are some that I made note of after it was all over and finished. For the most part, I think most everything looks okay but of course, damage sometimes takes a while to show up.

Illicium parviflorum 'Bananappeal' (Anise)-
I just planted this last year and it isn't in a protected area with the exception of a fence, but it is on the south side. I covered it with protective cloth.



I was very concerned about the other anise - Illicium floridanum 'Woodland Red' - I noticed that the leaves were all shriveled up on the really cold days. This has been in the ground since 2018. It is in the back garden, along the back fence. This got no protective covering whatsoever. Afterward, it appears fine.


Cast Iron Plant (Aspidistra elatior)
I didn't think about this plant at all until I saw a post from Loree at Danger Garden. I think it is fine and I read that it can survive temperatures down to -5. This plant has been somewhat of a disappointment although it finally seems to be growing. We used to admire this plant when we went to Florida.

Acacia rubida (Red Stemmed Wattle)
Here's one to be filed under "Totally Forgotten". This plant, purchased from One Green World in Portland, is a zone 9 plant. I do have it in the warmest spot available, against the south wall of our house. It is also surrounded by other plants. This is what it looks like after the turmoil. I have no idea what condition might be.


Eucalyptus neglecta - Omeo Gum
Appears unfazed and it is planted along the driveway in an open northern exposure. It was planted in August of 2022. It was leaning so I did put a larger stake behind it. This is a plant, like the Azara, that tends to want to go horizontal after events like this. There is a big one in a garden that I work in that has so much damage with broken and leaning branches. It will have to be cut back and neatened up but I'm sure it will be fine. I love these trees!


Several grevilleas to look at. The latest to be planted (just last year), 'Poorinda Leanne', is along the south wall of the house and it was partially covered by a heavy tarp that is being used to cover a bench. It looks ok to me, there are even flowers on it. It was mostly on the ground so I had to stake it.

Grevillea juniperina 'Low Red' is the first grevillea I ever planted. It has been in the ground since April 2019 and is located along the streetside facing north! Last year, it took a beating and I thought I had lost it but it is a survivor. I did cover this with a plastic sheet this year. I would love to move it. Not sure how grevellia does with transplanting. Anyone know?


Grevillea rosmarinifolia
We carried this one at Yard N' Garden Land and I planted it in the fall of 2022. This is also along the street with a northern exposure. I covered it with a bucket.


Pineapple Guava (Feijoa sellowiana), planted in 2016, the first year of the garden. It was not covered but it is located in the back garden which is somewhat sheltered and of course it is heavily mulched. Fingers crossed.

A closer look at the leaves on the Pineapple Guava, showing some discoloration.

Senecio greyi, a new plant, was covered with a bucket. This is a zone 8 plant.

Convolvulus cneorum (Silverbush), planted in the back garden and covered with a bucket. Obviously not as happy but perhaps will make it. The plant label says "10-20 dgrees".

Mahonia 'Soft Caress' - This is another plant that I wasn't too concerned about but then saw locals posting photos of their black leaves. I have this located on the north side of the house, in our front garden. It is a few feet away from the foundation so it has some protection. I see discoloration on the leaves.

Phormium (New Zealand Flax) - This is definitely a "wait and see" situation. I've grown phormium since I started gardening here. The oldest plants are seven years old. They usually look pretty rough at the beginning of spring but they have always bounced back with time. I have been tempted to cut them completely to the ground and watched a man do this on YouTube (he was in England) but I've not had the courage to do that. I usually remove the outer blades. 


Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Other than the Phormium, your plants look pretty good, although I've no experience with how long it can take before you can take full stock of any long-term damage. Your pineapple guava looks better than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Acacia rubida is the only plant that appears truly sad to me.
    The Phormium may take a minute to shine again but it will. I've seen others that looks much, much worse. I think your garden came out of this extreme weather with flying colors.
    Cyclamen coum is a heart-warming photo! So sweet.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang, everything looks good after that long freeze! I've moved a grevillea in Spring and it was totally fine - it was a smaller sized plant though, not super established. The Eucalyptus neglecta is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a difference a few miles make! A lot of the damage my plants are suffering is from the wind. I don't know that it's wind for the aspidistra though. I have two large patches that just look horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no doubt that when the weather calms to more normal temps and with your care plants will respond well. It is disheartening to see beloved plants in such appalling circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness, I don’t think I know a single one of these plants! I don’t grow anything marginal here, but I often wonder if my dahlias will survive or not, since I never bother to dig them. They aren’t supposed to survive winter here, but occasionally they do. We recently changed from 6A to 6B, which I had already assumed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts