Skip to main content

Featured

The Wet, Wet Garden

After worrying about the rain deficit (we were below normal for April), Mother Nature generously rewarded us with an abundance of rain this past week. I am not going to complain although I do wish it would skip my off-days. Today (Saturday) is an especially wet day. I ventured out briefly and took a few shots. The plants grow so fast from the rain. Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

First Snow, Now Ice



Winter weather continues as the snow remains on the ground from the weekend. Last night, we got ice. Here is how it looks this morning -





Today, we are finally climbing above 32 degrees after being below freezing for five days straight. Temperatures in the 40s are predicted today and it should be all be over for now.

Alabama got some snow too. Although our winters are similar, snow is a rarer event there. A lot of times it is predicted and nothing happens. I can't tell you how many disappointments I had as a kid, waiting for that predicted snow and school closing, and waking up to bare ground outside. 

In reading comments on social media, I find people's reactions amusing. First, there is excitement and anticipation. Then a day after it comes, they are ready for it to be over. 

As long as I have power, food and books, I'm fine with it and I don't mind being cooped up for a few days. I'm like a cat, as long as I'm cozy, I'm happy. I'd prefer not to go out in it. The biggest drawback is worrying about the garden and the birds.

Once again, it is the Azara that brings the most anxiety. Last year, the poor thing was completely on the ground after the huge, wet snowstorm. I reinforced it with the biggest stakes I could find. This is it today  -



I'm hoping the branches will not break before the ice melts. After that, it looks like I will have to figure out how to tie it back up to endure the next one.

Is there a next one? Probably so, considering this is just January!

Stay warm and cozy!



 



Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. I can't say I ever get to see the framework of my garden the way you can when its stripped down to its basic elements like this. I hope the Azara makes it through the snow and ice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts