Skip to main content

Featured

Swapping Huckleberries

Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album)  Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album) has been an attractive feature along our north-facing foundation since I planted it in 2016. You will have to take my word for it since I cannot locate a photo although I know one exists somewhere in the realm of the Internet or floating on a cloud somewhere.  I did locate a photo of how it looked when it was first planted - It took a few years to fill out but it did so nicely to an attractive mound about 2 feet high by 3 feet wide.  Last year, it started to look bad.  I cut it back but it had not improved and this is how it looked a few weeks ago - I decided to rip it out and plant another huckleberry - this time Vaccinium ovatum , more commonly known as the "Evergreen Huckleberry".  This is a plant that I've wanted for ages and kept putting off getting one because I could not find a good place for it. By most accounts, this is an amazing plant, a native one and excellent for

Columnar Plants for Tight Spaces

I was working on this post for the nursery blog and realized I could share it here since all of these plants are in our garden. With diminishing property sizes, the question of what plants to use in restricted spaces is a common one. I see these new neighborhoods popping up over all town and I cringe at the lack of garden space. There barely have a front yard and I imagine the back is about the same. I have a fear of living in such a place - even our 1/4 acre lot is too small for me.

Here are some plants that I've planted in our garden for such purposes -

Ilex crenata 'Sky Pencil'

 'Sky Pencil' Holly (Ilex crenata) - This is planted next to our front door and faces north so it gets very little sun. So far, it has done well. 6'-8' tall and 2'-3' wide. Evergreen. 


Japanese Plum Yew (Cephalotaxus harringtonia ‘Fastigiata’)

Japanese Plum Yew (Cephalotaxus harringtonia ‘Fastigiata’) is a dense, upright shrub with fine textured leaves. 10′ tall and 3-6′ wide. This was already here when we moved in. It started to flog a bit this year and we tied it with a green string. The string is virtually invisible (can you see it?) but good to know that it might do this. It is planted in full sun although most yews do well in shade. Evergreen.

 

Arborvitae ‘Degroot’s Spire’ (Thuja occidentalis)
  

Arborvitae ‘Degroot’s Spire’ (Thuja occidentalis) - If I had a dollar for every 'Emerald Green' arborvitae sold at the nursery, I could probably afford any size home and garden that I wanted. They do serve their purpose and we have a row of them planted along the west property line (already here when we moved in). 'Degroot's Spire' is a very narrow arborvitae (2') but very tall (12-15'). It is probably not a choice for a hedgerow but makes a very attractive focal point. I've also seen it used to anchor an entrance.

 

Buckthorn (Rhamnus frangula)

Buckthorn 'Fine Line' (Rhamnus frangula) - I just discovered this plant since working at the nursery. It is very interesting looking with frilly, willowy leaves. They turn yellow in the fall and have an attractive bark in the winter. Bees love this plant!


Juniperus scopulorum 'Skyrocket'

Junipers are excellent conifers for vertical features. I grow both 'Skyrocket' and 'Spartan'. 

 

Juniperus chinensis 'Spartan'
 

 

Italian Cypress 'Swane's Golden' (Cupressus sempervirens)

Italian Cypress 'Swane's Golden' (Cupressus sempervirens) - There are three of these in the garden, two that flank the moon arch. I love this one and hope that it doesn't get too large. I've seen photos of very large ones though.


Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Pendulum'

Weeping Giant Sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Pendulum') is at the entrance to the driveway. I debated over this and the Weeping White Spruce (Picea glauca) and ended going with the sequoia. It is such a unique plant and one that evokes the Pacific Northwest to me.

 

Chamaecyparis nootkatensi 'Green Arrow' (Alaska Cedar)

 

Alaska Cedar (Chamaecyparis nootkatensi 'Green Arrow') is another distinctive PNW plant. It bothers me a bit that it is situated too close to the Strawberry Tree. I am not sure what the outcome will be here but if it adheres to less than 3' wide as most descriptions say, everybody might remain happy.

And now, a few plants that may outgrow their spaces in the future -


Pinus strobus 'Fastigiata' (White Pine)

 Pinus strobus 'Fastigiata' (White Pine) - Planted in 2016, this one seems to be growing pretty fast. I foresee problems in the future as it is reported to get as much as 10' wide. That won't be good for this spot.

 

Persian Ironwood (Parrotia)
 

Persian Ironwood (Parrotia) is one of my favorite trees that I've discovered since moving here. I am not sure if this is the variety 'Vanessa' or not but I suspect that it is. It has maintained a narrow habit. The leaf colors on this tree is just amazing.

 

Ginkgo biloba 'Princetown Sentry'

Ginkgo biloba 'Princetown Sentry' is the first ginkgo tree I've ever grown. This is another one that might one day get too wide but I probably won't be around to see that happen.

 

Box-Leaf Azara (Azara microphylla)
Box-Leaf Azara (Azara microphylla) - I love this little tree although it isn't one of Michael's favorites. I think it is growing on him though. It is in full sun in our courtyard although most descriptions say that it prefers filtered shade. It seems happy. It is a bit tender or can be susceptible to wind damage. I hope it will continue to thrive in the somewhat sheltered location I've given it.

 

Acer palmatum 'Skeeter's Broom'

 Japanese Maple 'Skeeter's Broom' (Acer palmatum) - A lovely tree that I first saw in LaRue Anderson's garden and nursery in Scottsboro, Alabama. Although I've always seen it grown as a tower with limbs all the way to the ground, our tree didn't look that great near the bottom and Michael finally limbed it up.

Sweetgum (Liquidambar styraciflua 'Slender Silhouette')
 

Sweetgum (Liquidambar styraciflua 'Slender Silhouette') is a tree I picked up at Gossler Farms Nursery last fall. It can grow over 35' tall and remain less than 4' wide. I can't wait to see it this fall.

 

And I'm ending with a mystery. This came from a nursery that went out of business. I bought a lot of plants from them the first year we lived here (before I discovered Yard N' Garden Land!). It was labeled as Picea abies 'Cuppressina' (Columnar Norway Spruce) but I'm told that it not what this is. Perhaps a Korean Fir? I would love to know!

Do you have any favorite columnar shrubs or trees that you like? 

 

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. I love this informative post, I'm going to bookmark it. I am always looking for trees with a narrow growth habit, and just happen to pick up a Ilex crenata 'Sky Pencil'. It will go in a renovated spot in the garden, replacing a very old and out-of-shape juniper. I also have Buckthorn 'Fine Line' which I should move from a pot into the ground comes fall.
    Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Pendulum' is an absolute favorite, I think it's magnificent. It often bends and tilts, and take shape of a dinosaur (in my mind...); the "giganteum" part prevents me from getting one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've always been fascinated by the weeping sequoia and how different it looks in various places.

      Delete
  2. I haven't even heard of about half of these trees. It is amazing the variety that you have in your garden. Will the gum ball have gum balls? I bet it will be beautiful this fall. The regular gum ball trees are so pretty during fall. I have used the Sky Pencil around the garden. They don't seem to be hardy in my garden. I have a neighbor that has had one for years and it just get prettier every year. It is in mostly shade. I always wonder what the difference is in our garden and theirs. I am with Michael regarding that boxleaf tree. Maybe if I could see it in person it would look better to me. I am always amazed at all the plants you have in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right - the plant diversity here is amazing. The sweet gum is supposed to have minimal fruit. We will see. I know the regular ones can be messy. They are so pretty in fall though.

      Delete
  3. so far my 12 ft 'rotfuchs' katsura tree is very very narrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with that one. I will look it up.

      Delete
  4. These are all good picks. I use the Sky Pencil Holly and Upright Yew quite often for those tight, narrow spaces. The Sky Rocket Juniper has also been useful as well. Great article and information!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all good picks. I use the Sky Pencil Holly and Upright Yew quite often for those tight, narrow spaces. The Sky Rocket Juniper has also been useful as well. Great article and information!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts