Skip to main content

Featured

The Garden Awakens

Anise 'Woodland Red' ( Illicium floridanum ) A few weeks ago, I thought spring would never arrive, but now the change is astonishing. The nights are still cold (40s and sometimes even 30s) so planting tender annuals and vegetables is unwise although I have already succumbed, but covering and uncovering things gets old quickly. Someone made a wise comment last week and I must agree with them - "Don't plant anything tender until after May 1". Several plants are blooming like never before. One is the Anise shrub (above and below). I don't know if the recent tree pruning, which is allowing more sun into the woodland path, is affecting it or perhaps it is just age, but I've never seen so many blooms. Michael refers to this as "the stinky fish shrub" and I have to admit to smell of the flowers is quite unpleasant. It is so beautiful that I can overlook that. The old pink dogwood tree, which was already here, shades our woodland path and it too is prett

The Modern Cottage Garden - a book review


The Modern Cottage Garden: A Fresh Approach to a Classic Style by Greg Loades
Timber Press (publication date September 15, 2020)

My heart did a little flip when I saw the title of this book. Are there people out there in this day and age actually interesting in creating cottage gardens? There is hope for the world! Working at a retail nursery, I find that I mostly spend my day listening to requests for privacy hedges or plants that are evergreen - they want everything evergreen! But I digress.

After looking at the book closer, I saw that the author is from the UK, but I am being optimistic that there are young gardeners here in the US who want such a garden. If there are, this book is a good primer on creating one for anyone, no matter where you live. 

The cottage garden was popularized in the late 1800s by William Robinson and Gertrude Jekyll. Characterized by dense plantings of perennials and annuals in herbaceous borders, it provided maximum color and dramatic plant combinations. 

The “modern” version of the cottage garden maintains the same principles with some minor changes. It combines elements of the traditional cottage garden with newer trends (the author calls this "the new perennial movement").  Instead of rigid straight lines like the ones used in borders, the modern style advocates flowing lines. Pockets of color from perennials are punctuated by ornamental grasses popularized by Piet Oudolf. Particular attention is given to the use of containers, gardening in small spaces and ideals for plant combinations. 

Each season is highlighted with a summary of the best plants of the season and tips for caring for them. An A-Z listing of fifty essential plants showcases popular varieties. 

This is an attractively designed book with sections sprinkled throughout that showcase particular gardens in the UK. Well written and beautifully illustrated, this one is highly recommended.

 

 

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy


Comments

  1. What's not to love about a beautifully done cottage garden. Will look out for this one. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a good one. I might have to spring for it.
    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Phillip! interesting that you posted this. I have a restored 1889 Victorian 10 minutes from downtown chicago. I love greenery with pops of color but 3 years ago, I had to tear down an old shed and built a 10x20 "garden shed".. then I started adding Samaritan Dogwood, paperbark maple. 17 Annabelle Hydrangeas and 3 types of Oakleafs and of course Panniculitis.. I went straight to Roses after that and as of recent, I literally just picked up a few types of Anemone plants.. After speaking to my friend by stating that I wasn't going towards a Cottage Garden, Here I am and have started saying that I'm working on a Modern Cottage Garden because it just fits with the soul of this house :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts