Skip to main content

Featured

Swapping Huckleberries

Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album)  Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album) has been an attractive feature along our north-facing foundation since I planted it in 2016. You will have to take my word for it since I cannot locate a photo although I know one exists somewhere in the realm of the Internet or floating on a cloud somewhere.  I did locate a photo of how it looked when it was first planted - It took a few years to fill out but it did so nicely to an attractive mound about 2 feet high by 3 feet wide.  Last year, it started to look bad.  I cut it back but it had not improved and this is how it looked a few weeks ago - I decided to rip it out and plant another huckleberry - this time Vaccinium ovatum , more commonly known as the "Evergreen Huckleberry".  This is a plant that I've wanted for ages and kept putting off getting one because I could not find a good place for it. By most accounts, this is an amazing plant, a native one and excellent for

Garden Blogger's Bloom Day - August 2020

Pots on the garden wall include Million Bells (Calibrachoa 'Cabaret Orange'), Fuchsia 'Autumnale' and Bat Face Cuphea (Cuphea Ilavea)
 

August 15th already - this summer has flown by! Weatherwise, this has been the best summer since we've moved here. Cool for the most part with only a handful of hot spells. Beginning tomorrow, we're in for a doozy - 100 probably all weekend and really warm next week. Not too happy about that but overall, can't complain. 

Gardener's Bloom Day is hosted by May Dreams Gardens. Follow the link to find other bloggers who are sharing their bloom photos this month.

Blooming today -

Echinacea 'White Swan' and Rose 'Coral Cove'

 

Persicaria 'Blackfield' with Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Redhead'

  in the background

 

Calluna 'Firefly' (at least I think this is 'Firefly', it might be 'Multi-color') and Weigela 'Wings of Fire'

 

Buddleia 'Flutterby Petite Blue Heaven'

 
Canna 'Panache'

 

Hydrangea 'Miss Saori' and Hosta 'Rainforest Sunrise'

 

Abelia 'Kaleidoscope'

 

Aster 'Monch'

 

Vitex (Chaste Tree)

 

Ligularia 'Desdemona'

 

Allium 'Millenium'

 

Hydrangea 'Vanilla Strawberry'

 

Helenium 'Sahin's Early Flowerer'

 

Zinnia 'Profusion'

 

Trollius 'T. Smith'             

Sedum 'Cherry Truffle'

 

Eucomis - I don't know the name of this one. It isn't as showy as 'Sparkling Burgundy'
but still very nice.
 

 

Petunias and Sweet Potato Vine

 

Mandevilla

And I leave you with a view of the front door steps -

 

 Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Beautiful flowers. My first visit. I'm a retired librarian, too. Western NY, near
    Rochester. Totally different climate from yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always have the best vignettes of bloomers. So happy you have had a good summer. It will soon be over and as you said how quick it flew by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That petite buddleia has nice character to it, almost like a vitex. Amazing amount of eucomis blooms and love the shrub (?) arching behind. Wonderful August garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that is Lonicera 'Lemon Beauty' behind it. I forgot to mention it.

      Delete
  4. Lovely as always! Thanks for joining in for bloom day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All beautiful, but the petunias with the sweet potato vine is an especially beautiful combination!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As usual, Phillip, you have a spectacular array of flowers. I love the display at the top of the post and the one by your front door is choice too. The flower of Canna 'Panache' is intriguing - I don't generally care for Canna flowers but I like that one a lot. Echinacea 'White Swan' is another plant I admire - Echinaceas are generally expensive annuals here but 'White Swan' came back for a few years. I wasn't able to find it locally when I looked for it this year, however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I don't care for cannas in general either but this one is so different.

      Delete
  7. Oh that first shot with garden figurine is incredible Phillip .It would be my pleasure if you join my link up party related to Gardening here. http://jaipurgardening.blogspot.com/2020/08/garden-affair-link-up-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for stopping by my blog. Phillip-your gardens are spectacular and I love your combinations of color and texture. The Persicaria 'Blackfield' with Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Redhead'combination is perfect and I also love your Sedum, Buddleia and front steps! I will look forward to seeing your next Bloom Day post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Eucomis may not be as showy, but with the shrub in the background for support, you got an amazing combination. Echinacea 'White Swan' may have un understated presence that looks great with the rose, and its going on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely August flowers! the Hydrangea 'Vanilla Strawberry' looks yummy, I wish it would grow in Florida, and your front entrance display is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous, as usual. Your blog posts are visual candy to me! Have to laugh at your front porch. Don’t think you’re getting in that way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts