Skip to main content

Featured

The Garden Awakens

Anise 'Woodland Red' ( Illicium floridanum ) A few weeks ago, I thought spring would never arrive, but now the change is astonishing. The nights are still cold (40s and sometimes even 30s) so planting tender annuals and vegetables is unwise although I have already succumbed, but covering and uncovering things gets old quickly. Someone made a wise comment last week and I must agree with them - "Don't plant anything tender until after May 1". Several plants are blooming like never before. One is the Anise shrub (above and below). I don't know if the recent tree pruning, which is allowing more sun into the woodland path, is affecting it or perhaps it is just age, but I've never seen so many blooms. Michael refers to this as "the stinky fish shrub" and I have to admit to smell of the flowers is quite unpleasant. It is so beautiful that I can overlook that. The old pink dogwood tree, which was already here, shades our woodland path and it too is prett

Transplanting False Indigo (Baptisia)




I have found that transplanting is easy here in the Pacific Northwest and I would say that 95% of the plants I've moved have made the transition successfully. And some of that was accomplished in the middle of summer! That said, I was extremely wary of moving Baptisia 'Purple Smoke'. I knew this was a perennial with tap roots and that is usually not an easy thing to disrupt.
 
 
Planted right off the deck, it got too much shade to produce a lot of blooms although at the time, there wasn't much shade there. The seedling Japanese maples planted on each side of the deck steps have grown. The above photo was taken last year. This year, there were even less blooms. I love the foliage though as much as the flowers and pondered leaving it in its spot for that sole reason. However, I decided to move it on July 4th weekend. I know, I am crazy but decided if it didn't make it, I could always buy another one.
 
I wanted to move it to the front border. The first thing I did was dig the hole for its new home. I added a bit of alfafa meal and compost for good measure -
Next, I cut back that beautiful foliage -

This particular plant was planted four years ago (April 12, 2016 to be exact) so you would think that there would be a massive root system on such a plant. However, this is what the root system looked like when I dug it out -


Honestly, I didn't have much hope for it and felt terrible for removing it. Still, I moved it to the new hole and watered well -


And watered and watered. Every day until then, we have watered faithfully. I noticed a few blackened areas around the upper stems where the cuts had been made and figured it was dying.

However, about three weeks later, I began to notice leaves developing. This photo was taken on July 28th (about 3 weeks later) -
 
 Today, August 9 marks a little over one month and here it is -
 
 

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. It looks like it is going to make it. I am surprised that you cut it back so severely right before transplanting it. It is giving an indication that it forgives you for the lopping and will live. Best of luck. I have one that is 20+ years old. I would love to move a piece of it to another area. After seeing this maybe I will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did it! Move a plant in summer! Great! May it bloom like crazy in its new spot and be gorgeous for you for many years to come. It looks good.

    I did the same sort of thing--the baby oak tree added 15' in I swear only two years, shading out a South African Erica. I moved the Erica a few weeks ago and it is now flowering. Whew!

    Sometimes you have to just go for it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts