Skip to main content

Featured

The Garden Awakens

Anise 'Woodland Red' ( Illicium floridanum ) A few weeks ago, I thought spring would never arrive, but now the change is astonishing. The nights are still cold (40s and sometimes even 30s) so planting tender annuals and vegetables is unwise although I have already succumbed, but covering and uncovering things gets old quickly. Someone made a wise comment last week and I must agree with them - "Don't plant anything tender until after May 1". Several plants are blooming like never before. One is the Anise shrub (above and below). I don't know if the recent tree pruning, which is allowing more sun into the woodland path, is affecting it or perhaps it is just age, but I've never seen so many blooms. Michael refers to this as "the stinky fish shrub" and I have to admit to smell of the flowers is quite unpleasant. It is so beautiful that I can overlook that. The old pink dogwood tree, which was already here, shades our woodland path and it too is prett

Plum Coffee Cake


 
A member of the family who owns the nursery where I work has a fantastic vegetable garden and he brings wonderful things (corn!) in to share with employees. It is the time of year for these delicious plums and he has presented us with two boxes full during the past two weeks. A customer and I were discussing them and she shared a recipe with me for a Plum Coffee Cake. It is wonderful and I would think that you could substitute apples, peaches or just about any fruit if you don't have plums.


Cake:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. lemon zest
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (softened)
2 large eggs
8-10 plums (about 1 lb.), pitted and sliced

Streusel Topping:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (softened)

Preheat oven to 350. Prepare a 9-inch springform pan by lining the bottom with parchment paper. Spray or butter the paper and the sides of the pan.
 
Whisk together the flour and the baking powder in a mixing bowl.

On low speed, add the sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla and lemon zest. Beat for 2 minutes until well combined.

The batter will be sticky. Carefully spread it over the bottom of the springform pan. (I find that coating a spatula with cooking spray helps).

Arrange the sliced plums over the dough in a spiral pattern. Set aside.
 
 

Make the streusel topping:

In a mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon and butter and beat until it becomes crumbly.

Spread the topping evenly over the plums.
 
 

Bake for 45-50 minutes. If the top hasn't browned, turn the oven to the broiler setting for 5 more minutes.

After removing from the oven, let it sit on a wire rack for 15 minutes before running a knife around the perimeter of the pan and releasing the sides. Cool completely.


Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. The fruit on my two Italian plum trees aren't quite ripe yet. I love eating them straight off the tree, while I garden. If it looks like we wouldn't be able to consume everything, there is the dehydrator that helps stretch the season for months. The plum coffee cake looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought these were Italian plums but wasn't exactly sure. They are good just by themselves. You are lucky to have your own trees!

      Delete
  2. My husband loves plums. I bet he would love this coffeecake. I would too. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts