Skip to main content

Featured

The Wet, Wet Garden

After worrying about the rain deficit (we were below normal for April), Mother Nature generously rewarded us with an abundance of rain this past week. I am not going to complain although I do wish it would skip my off-days. Today (Saturday) is an especially wet day. I ventured out briefly and took a few shots. The plants grow so fast from the rain. Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Bugloss (Anchusa capensis)



This is Anchusa capensis 'Blue Angel', commonly known as "Bugloss" and also known under more attractive names like "Cape Forget-Me-Not" and "Summer Forget-Me-Not".

I did not know this plant when I purchased it earlier this year and decided to get it to fill a spot and anything with blue flowers will get my attention (plus it came from Little Prince and that is usually a good sign). Co-worker Kellie told me it was a nice plant and I always follow her advice. I planted it in one of the front raised borders in partial shade, promptly forgot about it, until the blue flowers appeared. Gorgeous! And very long-lasting.

When the blooms faded, I cut it back about halfway. And now, here it is again!

Investigating it further, I've learned that it is a member of the Borage family. It is actually a biennial and native to South Africa. According to the North Carolina Extension website - 

"The genus "anchusa" is from the Greek word "anchousa", which makes reference to its use as a dye for cosmetic paint obtained from the roots of another plant in the genus Anchusa tinctoria. The species capensis translated to "from the Cape" referring to South Africa." 


The blue flowers are outstanding and the foliage is nice as well. In mild climates, it is said to be "weedy" when it self-sows. Aha - borage! 

That said, I'm in love with it at the moment. We will see what happens next year with it. 

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. What a little beauty! Love the intense blue, I'm going to have to give this one a go. *Thanks Kris for the reminder of Annie's labor day sale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now THAT is blue!
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts