Skip to main content

Featured

The Wet, Wet Garden

After worrying about the rain deficit (we were below normal for April), Mother Nature generously rewarded us with an abundance of rain this past week. I am not going to complain although I do wish it would skip my off-days. Today (Saturday) is an especially wet day. I ventured out briefly and took a few shots. The plants grow so fast from the rain. Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Persian Shield



Persian Shield (Strobilanthes dyeriana) is an annual with striking iridescent foliage. I used to grow it in a pot but haven't purchased it in years. This year, I wanted something for a pop of color in our shady border and decided to give it a try in the ground. Here it gets dappled sunlight but mostly shade. This, along with moist soil, suits the plant best. A native of Myanmar (Burma), it grows naturally in tropical areas and becomes a small shrub. It can also be used as a houseplant. This is a plant that always gets lot of comments.


Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. I love this plant but it hates my dry conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most purple foliage seems suited to sun, so this is quite useful for me in shade. Tender perennial here in 8a Augusta, GA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this plant. Theor and textures. I usually have some nine a pit but have had it in the ground. Always uses as annual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you imagine it as a small shrub? OMG, it would be amazing.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts