Skip to main content

Featured

The Wet, Wet Garden

After worrying about the rain deficit (we were below normal for April), Mother Nature generously rewarded us with an abundance of rain this past week. I am not going to complain although I do wish it would skip my off-days. Today (Saturday) is an especially wet day. I ventured out briefly and took a few shots. The plants grow so fast from the rain. Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Plectranthus 'Guacamole'



Potted plants are not my forte although we do have more than a fair share. In previous years, our deck was a jungle. We went crazy over fuchsias after moving here but finally realized that overwintering them, quite easy, was taking up too much space in the garage and waiting for them to bloom the following year was no fun and it was easier just to buy new plants. Of course, there are some that we do overwinter but our supply of fuchsias has diminished considerably. 

There are a few other plants that I like to have in pots. Plectranthus 'Guacamole' is one that I discovered a few years ago and is an absolute favorite. No flowers (or does it?), just stunning green and gold leaves that drape ever so elegantly over the pot. Growing it is a breeze. Shade-loving, ours gets only bright light and I would bet that only a slight amount of sun would burn the leaves. Liquid fertilizer every two weeks or so is the only indulgence it gets and it would probably be okay without that.

I've never tried to overwinter it but if I had a sunroom or greenhouse, I would try that. 




Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Very attractive. I'm not sure I've seen that one before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good looking plant. I don't think I have seen this around here before. I will look for it next year. I have a lot of pots on our deck too. It gets morning sun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guacamole indeed! That's a beauty I haven't seen before.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts