Skip to main content

Featured

The Wet, Wet Garden

After worrying about the rain deficit (we were below normal for April), Mother Nature generously rewarded us with an abundance of rain this past week. I am not going to complain although I do wish it would skip my off-days. Today (Saturday) is an especially wet day. I ventured out briefly and took a few shots. The plants grow so fast from the rain. Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

It's All About The Foliage



Bluestar (Amsonia hubrichtii)


Daphne 'Briggs Moonlight'


Hydrangea quercifolia 'Little Honey'

Rhododendron 'Unique Variegated'

Sumac 'Tiger Eyes'

Aralia 'Sun King'

Baptisia 'Purple Smoke'

Spanish Fir (Abies pinsapo 'Glauca')


Autumn Fern

Barberry 'Limoncello'

Prostrate Coast Redwood (Sequoia sempervirens 'Kelly's Prostrate')

Hardy Scheffelera (Schefflera taiwaniana 'Monhinschf' ('Winged Phoenix') 

Dwarf Birch (Betula 'Trost's Dwarf')

Cedrus deodora 'Feelin' Blue'

Sassafras albidum

Redbud 'Flamethrower' (Cercis canadensis)

Daphne 'Carol Mackie'

Pinus sylvestris 'Trollguld'

Juniper 'All Gold'

Redbud 'Rising Sun' (Cercis canadensis)

Genista lydia (Lydia Broom)

Pinus parviflora 'Cleary'

Hinoki Cypress (Chamacyparis 'Gracillis')


Chamacyparis O. 'Maiesii'


Japanese Forest Grass (Hakonechloa)

Pieris 'Little Heath'

Fatshedera 'Aureo Maculata' 




Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. So many beautiful plants. All gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an extensive foliage post, I love it. I'm always amazed at the number of different plants you managed to fit in your urbane garden. (No doubt working in a nursery provides endless temptations).
    Which to you prefer: Daphne 'Briggs Moonlight' or 'Carol Mackie'?
    Redbud 'Rising Sun' or 'Flamethrower'?
    In the first photo, on the left, is it Mahonia 'Soft Caress'? The placement against a bare trunk is perfect!
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chavli, I like both of them equally well. 'Briggs Moonlght' was a happy accident. I brought it home from the nursery and it was on its death bed. I didn't expect much from it and it has proved me otherwise. Unfortunately, I don't like the spot where I planted it and I'm afraid to move it. It grows on the northside foundation of our house and it is actually under the eaves. How it lives is beyond me. 'Carol Mackie' has been a vigorous grower and continues to spread. Redbuds - I would have to say 'Flamethrower' for the beauty and unusual aspect of the leaves. I also have 'Hearts of Gold' which is very nice as well. That is 'Soft Caress' in the first photo and I should have included that one.

      Delete
  3. One of your best posts, ever. No words needed here. Love all these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taking notes, beautiful selections!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phillip, I am such a sucker for anything variegated, to the point it has become over used in my back yard. Oh, me. The Daphne 'Briggs Moonlight' is beautiful. Actually, your entire garden is beautiful this time of year as well. Debbie Crockett

    ReplyDelete
  6. That first photo is wonderful but then all the closeups are as well, Phillip. When I see your posts I always think maybe my husband and I should follow my BIL's advice and move to the Seattle area ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you should although I have to say your garden is very enticing and that view!

      Delete
  7. It's really unbelievable the variety you have in your garden. I always go back to look for a 2nd time (and maybe 3rd). This is a beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way the forest grass hangs over the path. I have tried to grow that so many times. It never lasts more than one season. We get too dry here is my guess as to why it doesn't last. All of the colorful foliage in your garden is so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never grew it until living here and I think what you said about moisture is true.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts