Skip to main content

Featured

The Wet, Wet Garden

After worrying about the rain deficit (we were below normal for April), Mother Nature generously rewarded us with an abundance of rain this past week. I am not going to complain although I do wish it would skip my off-days. Today (Saturday) is an especially wet day. I ventured out briefly and took a few shots. The plants grow so fast from the rain. Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

The Fishingham Garden


Here is another garden that I follow on Instagram and have wanted to see in person for a long time. It is the garden of Jeff Fisher and Ed Cunningham, better known as "The Fishingham Garden". Their garden has been featured in many magazines and books. This is a tiny garden, only 50' x 100' but packed with vibrant colors and great plants.

It was overcast and chilly earlier this week when we visited - really the perfect day to see a colorful garden but I unwisely wore shorts and a thin shirt and was downright cold! Incredibly, it is sweltering again today (93 degrees). I do prefer the chill.

The approach to the front garden from the street - 


The color palette is orange(!) and chartreuse with spots of purple here and there. These are some of my personal favorite colors so of course I loved it. The house color is particularly stunning (our living room walls are this color). Jeff says when he saw the first coat go up, he questioned himself but of course it was fine.

A seating area with a tropical flavor - banana trees and palms -


The front porch (I think the yellow color of the ceiling is another fantastic touch) -




The tree in the corner is a rhododendron that has been limbed up. 

A narrow side garden takes you to the back of the house -


A closer look. The color scheme continues here and art and decor add whimsey and punctuation.  The former garage (above right) is now a tool shed. Future plans for a small greenhouse is in the works.











What a fun garden with so much to see and admire - I loved it! Thank you Jeff and Ed for opening your garden and sharing this gem with garden lovers!


Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Very effective use of repetition and color echoes. I love the tropical-themed seating area. And I need one of those "Grow dammit" signs ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this garden. The combos and texture juxtapositions are so well done. That marvelous Rhododendron tree might be my favorite specimen. It’s a work of art.
    Thank you to the hosts for sharing. I’ll check them on instagram.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the vibrant color everywhere. Orange is one of my favorite colors in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fabulous vibrant garden. I love the hanging chartreuse birdhouse and the more mute birdbath with the colorful marbles.
    With fall around the corner and Halloween looming large, orange pumpkins are going to fit perfectly with the color scheme of this nugget of a garden.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts